Faverolles Thread

droolin.gif
Oooh, Lobzi, what a beautiful roo! Don't you just love looking at him? My roo Emmet is nice yard art too and I love to watch him do his rooster dance for his girls.

Henry, your girls are beautiful and I am jealous. I can't wait 'til my eggs hatch - hopefully I will get a few decent pullets. I'm also planning to order some eggs this spring from pasofinofarms to improve my stock. I am going to the faverolles club website shortly and get a membership. Sending good hatching vibes your way.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
Thanks hope you hatch some nice girls! I candled again and looked very closely and saw eyes and beating hearts in all the eggs.

I love my fluffy faverolles. I love to bury my face in those fluffy feathers. They are wonderful birds, and I'll be getting a rooster this year for my 3 girls, then the fun will begin.

Henry, do you just have bantams?

Quote:
Its a shame you're so far from me as I might have roosters to sell in a few months. I hope not but I suppose its too much to ask that this hatch will be all pullets - I'll probably be lucky if they are not all roos!
tongue.png

Quote:
Its a shame you're so far from me as I might have roosters to sell in a few months. I hope not but I suppose its too much to ask that this hatch will be all pullets - I'll probably be lucky if they are not all roos!
tongue.png

I am really really hoping I get mostly pullets and not to many cockerals or I will be taking some trips up to the auction
hmm.png

What is the opinion on caponizing Faverolles males? I think they would make lovely pets and save some trips to auction.

Quote:
I would rather just eat them as roosters thats what people would do with them at auction anyway. I am not really comfortable with caponizing birds I haven't heard that its a really safe procedure and I thought it was done to improve the meat qualities of roosters. The Hens and Roosters also make amazing pets and I would rather have birds that can produce chicks and eggs.

If you want to caponize them and keep them as pets come and get the extra cockeral in spring.

Quote:
I would rather just eat them as roosters thats what people would do with them at auction anyway. I am not really comfortable with caponizing birds I haven't heard that its a really safe procedure and I thought it was done to improve the meat qualities of roosters. The Hens and Roosters also make amazing pets and I would rather have birds that can produce chicks and eggs.

If you want to caponize them and keep them as pets come and get the extra cockeral in spring.

I know caponizing was originally done for meat purposes but I know that it strongly reduces the male's hormones and therefore any negative rooster behavior (crowing, aggression, etc.) and seems like it would be a nice alternative to someone having to get rid of them or eat them. It also causes the bird to grow larger and sometimes even develop brooding behavior like a hen, not sure on how the weight gain would affect a bantam as capons are usually made of large breed fowl. However, it is best done when the birds are very young (I believe 4-6 weeks?) and isn't as safe or effective when done on a mature bird. From what I've read it seems to be a very safe procedure when done by someone of experience, with the biggest worry being infection afterward.

It was just an idea I have been throwing around, I am thinking of getting a small group of chicks or hatching eggs and would like to have 2-3 hens in the end...but was thinking of what to do with any roosters that might pop up. They are so gorgeous and I would hate having to part with them just because of their gender.

Quote:

I know caponizing was originally done for meat purposes but I know that it strongly reduces the male's hormones and therefore any negative rooster behavior (crowing, aggression, etc.) and seems like it would be a nice alternative to someone having to get rid of them or eat them. It also causes the bird to grow larger and sometimes even develop brooding behavior like a hen, not sure on how the weight gain would affect a bantam as capons are usually made of large breed fowl. However, it is best done when the birds are very young (I believe 4-6 weeks?) and isn't as safe or effective when done on a mature bird. From what I've read it seems to be a very safe procedure when done by someone of experience, with the biggest worry being infection afterward.

It was just an idea I have been throwing around, I am thinking of getting a small group of chicks or hatching eggs and would like to have 2-3 hens in the end...but was thinking of what to do with any roosters that might pop up. They are so gorgeous and I would hate having to part with them just because of their gender.

Well its a good idea for someone who is really interested in trying it I would love to hear about your results if you decide to go that route.

Back
Top Bottom