Faverolles Thread

Quote:
I'm planning on putting this to the test with the mille fleur project. I'm getting a dark male from Leisha to cover my d'Uccle girls, and I have a d'Uccle roo that I'm going to use to cover my Fav girls...unfortunately I only have 1 salmon girl (the other 2 are blue salmon and a splash salmon), so I am hoping that of the 4 chicks in the brooder at least ONE of them is a salmon girl...

I'm hoping that doing it this way will work...I'm thinking that if I just flip flop everything in the "recipe" from Dick, that hopefully it will work both ways...we'll see...

You MUST keep us updated on the results. I for one will be very interested to hear about it.

Oh, I will, for sure!
smile.png

Quote:
OK! Since there wasn't an overwhelming response to these birds I'm gonna.
Don't wear your personal feelings on your sleeve please.
Faverolles in Canada have never been plentiful. There was, at one time, a few bantam breeders but not large fowl.
Therefore, sometimes what you have to use in a few generations may not be "great examples" but the genes are there. It will take massive amounts of chicks to get anything worth going on with. That's about the only way to see an improvement when starting with limited stock in general.

The first male would be a choice here. The second male concerns me as his beard is white. In the females, you're correct, the one on the left needs to be in a stew pot. The other one is workable. At one time I had birds that weren't very nice either. I was able to improve them over time but time is what it took.
Have you contacted Paul Monteith with the question if he knows of a lf breeder in Canada. Since he owns the candadian poultry paper he might know.

Good luck and don't feel defeated, just have the reality it will take time to see these birds change one breeding at a time.

Peter

Apreciate the feedback! No personal feelings involved, these are very much project birds for me. As i said i wasnt even sure if i had anything worth working from, if i didnt i would have had to scrap my faverolle dream since they are so scarce in canada. I have a few other project breed/colors on the go, so wont be able to devote a ton of space to these, we shall see what i can grow out next spring/summer, im planning to grow out at least 50 chicks so hopefully i can get some offspring that are an improvement on the parents at least! and get a start on the next year!

so the first male it is, and the female on the right, and hopefully at least 1/3 of my younger pullets will be "decent" enough to hang onto so i can at least start with a trio! but better to start with less of nicer strock than keep more of poor quality stock, so if im forced to start with just the pair i will.

I have not contacted Paul Monteith, how would i find his information? i would look in any direction in canada to find better stock! Even if just eggs for spring to grow out and start the 2012 breeding season off.

Henry, can you start another thread and close this one, it got to be too LONG LOL! Love all the information but so much information we gotta wade thru. Figured several forum books would be a good start...like Part one, like this thread and Part Two on the next thread.

Think you can do that....what about the rest of you Faverolle folks in here?????? Start up another continuing thread or keep this one going?

Wonderful information, keep it up!

I vote to keep it all in one place. I read the entire thread and then signed up for updates.
smile.png

I do understand that there is alot... but, honestly, I don't see how splitting it up will help... instead you will just be wading thru multiple threads instead of just the one. Of course, that is just my opinion...

Quote:
Dick or some of you who know more about genetics than me (which would probably be almost any one of you!
tongue.png
), when one is working towards creating a new color, why is the rooster always the "new" color and the hen the Salmon Fav? Will it work in reverse or is there a particular reason for using the rooster to introduce the color?

The female carries type more than the male, so when making a new color the hen should be a Faverolles. Not saying you can't do it the other way but it may take longer, but then again you could get lucky.
Dick

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Mame. I love genetics, so learning how to make patterns/colors is very fascinating to me. A couple of years ago I studied horse genetics for a couple of months. I'll look into the book. Thanks!
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thanks Mame. I love genetics, so learning how to make patterns/colors is very fascinating to me. A couple of years ago I studied horse genetics for a couple of months. I'll look into the book. Thanks!
hugs.gif

You're welcome. If you come across Genetics for Dummies, let me know,ok? Once he got past one trait or one pattern, he lost me. I'll have to read it again. The pics helped a lot. Good luck!

Quote:
x2

x3 - I'm still wading through all the great info. I don't want this thread to get lost on the bottom of the pile somewhere...

x4 - I am new to the Faverolle Bantams and love how all the information is here in one place. Keep this thread going.
thumbsup.gif

I am hoping for a good hatch as these will be the first Faverolle Bantams I have ever had.
fl.gif
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom