Faverolles Thread

Quote:
I have no personal experience with the whole "importing eggs" thing, but that's what I've read on other threads here.

I would love to help you if you decide to make some LF blues.....
wink.png

haha! Another enabler, I see
smile.png
I'm going to look into it.

I've been called worse. LOL
lau.gif

Quote:
Importing poultry is very expensive, then there's all the red tape to go along with it.

Making your own would avoid all that, but would obviously be a several years long project.

Quote:
I have no personal experience with the whole "importing eggs" thing, but that's what I've read on other threads here.

I would love to help you if you decide to make some LF blues.....
wink.png

smile.png

Jeanine,

Out of curiousity, unless it a secret, how would you think one would go about the process of producing LF Blues?

Quote:
smile.png

Jeanine,

Out of curiousity, unless it a secret, how would you think one would go about the process of producing LF Blues?

Well, what I would do, and others might go about it differently, would be to use the biggest black or blue bantam Fav cock bird I could find with some salmon hens, and make LF blacks first. About half your black chicks would be wheaten based, and it would take some experimenting to see who exactly needs to be culled, but it could be done over time. Then when I had really good blacks, I would introduce the biggest blue or splash English Orpington cock bird over the black hens, a few years of heavy culling for toes, leg feathering and beards, and voila. LF BBS Faverolles. You would still end up with weird things popping up from time to time, but I think that's a smaller price to pay than the outrageous costs associated with importing UK stock...IMO
wink.png

Would someone else do it differently?? I'd love to hear!!!
big_smile.png

I'd just start with a blue or splash (preferable if you can find one) orpington roo and the salmon hens. It will take time to weed out the off colors but part of the fun is seeing what you get.

FFOA members (or anyone that wants to support the club
big_smile.png
) Don't forget I'm needing donations for the fundraiser table I'm doing at the Shawnee Poultry Show December 9&10. Please contact me ASAP if you are interested so we have time for shipping!!thanks so much in advance!!

Quote:
This is a very interesting topic to me. I am beginning to see that there could be different paths to obtain the same end goal.

From my limited experience, it sounds like KEESMON's strategy might be the most direct approach???? Only because you are maintaining size and mostly culling for colors??? I am sure there are more variable that I am missing.

Quote:
This is a very interesting topic to me. I am beginning to see that there could be different paths to obtain the same end goal.

From my limited experience, it sounds like KEESMON's strategy might be the most direct approach???? Only because you are maintaining size and mostly culling for colors??? I am sure there are more variable that I am missing.

True, the only reason I might not go this route would be because to get the Fav type and Fav traits, you have to breed back to Favs, which keeps breeding the salmon color (i.e. wheaten based black) back in to the new line...

But, just like with anything else, there are several ways to reach the same goal.
smile.png

Quote:
Yup, one or both of my black fav hens are hiding wheaten. Got all sorts of interesting colors this year out of the ermine F2s.

I think Dick even started with a blue Langshan.

Quote:
Yup, one or both of my black fav hens are hiding wheaten. Got all sorts of interesting colors this year out of the ermine F2s.

I think Dick even started with a blue Langshan.

Ooh, that's cool. At least feathered legs would be out of the equation!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom