Faverolles Thread

Right, and the bubbles get ABSORBED into the liquid of the egg, then the gas can move out of the egg, or through the membrane. If oxygen could not move through the shell/egg, the chick would die of suffocation (lack of oxygen) or Co2 poisoning. And as I said before, the membrane can heal a rupture, IF it is a small one, and IF it is not moved for the first couple of days of incubation. Basically the eggs that get shipped will have some damage regardless of how well they are packed. It is amazing to me that they do recover enough from shipping to hatch at all. All I can say is, I used to hold them for 12 hours and then proceed as per usual. Since I started using the "no turn for 48 hours rule", my hatch rate on shipped eggs has doubled. And since I started recommending it to my egg customers, THEIR hatch rates have improved tremendously as well. I may not know the entire science behind it, but I can tell you it does work.

As for eggs from barn to house, I only hold them as long as I need to to set the hatch for a specific day. Or for a specific amount from a particular pen. I agree that eggs for incubation at HOME need to go into the incubator asap. In fact, I just put my first turkey egg of the season into one of my incubators... and it was still warm from laying
wink.png

I am looking to buy some salmon faverolle hatching eggs. I adore thie breed. Does anyone know where I could get some? PLEASE
fl.gif

Are you looking for some immediately? I have a couple of orders to fill, but if you were still interested I should have some after that.
I have pictures of my birds for this year and chicks from previous years here http://jorgensenwaterfowl.webs.com/apps/photos/
Message me if you want some eggs.

Regardless of the reason for letting the eggs "sit"...

Sandi, even though you do not turn the eggs for 48 hours after arrival (through the mail) do you still put them into the incubator after 24? Or do you hold off on that as well?

24 hours in a carton in a cool place in the house (60 degrees), then into the incubator for 48 hours without turning. A Dorking breeder told me about it. I tried it because Dorkings are so rare, you often have to have eggs shipped if you need new blood for your breeding program. All I know is it worked. I have tried it with Muscovy and Goose eggs as well and currently have 7 goose eggs that have all developed out of 7, and 19 Muscovy eggs out of 21. I also have 26 OEGBs developing out of 29 eggs. Either I have incredible luck or I am onto something. I do candle eggs for cracks before counting/incubating them as that is just good common sense, but I have only tossed 3 or 4 for cracks this year... all of them badly wanted Faverolles of course.

Very interesting sandiklaws. I have some eggs that should be arriving today. I have always let the eggs set for 12 to 24 hours. I will let them set for 24 and then I will try not turning them for two days in the bator.

My babies from pasofinofarms are growing. They have a couple of cochin friends in there also.
wink.png
I just love Fav. chicks!

Last edited:
I am so sad, I had to share. I had 2 faverolle pullets on order and I should have picked them up this weekend. They were going to complete my little flock. I have 2 2week old EE's, and 3 2 day old baby chicks (1 more EE, 1 Australorp and 1 Buff Orpington) so far. I was planning on them all being close in age so they could stay together always. Well I called the breeder last night and something happend to the incubator and he lost all of the eggs.
hit.gif
I have been calling all the hatcheries I can find on line and nobody has baby pullet Fav's to ship now or with in the next week. This was the first breed I picked for my flock and now I wont have any. I did not want to have to introduce the birds later. I wanted them to share the brooder and grow up together. That does not look like it will happen now.
hit.gif
So I thought I would come here and drool over your birds. If anyone has any ideas for me, let me know.

Thanks

I am so sad, I had to share. I had 2 faverolle pullets on order and I should have picked them up this weekend. They were going to complete my little flock. I have 2 2week old EE's, and 3 2 day old baby chicks (1 more EE, 1 Australorp and 1 Buff Orpington) so far. I was planning on them all being close in age so they could stay together always. Well I called the breeder last night and something happend to the incubator and he lost all of the eggs.
hit.gif
I have been calling all the hatcheries I can find on line and nobody has baby pullet Fav's to ship now or with in the next week. This was the first breed I picked for my flock and now I wont have any. I did not want to have to introduce the birds later. I wanted them to share the brooder and grow up together. That does not look like it will happen now.
hit.gif
So I thought I would come here and drool over your birds. If anyone has any ideas for me, let me know.

Thanks

I am so sorry for your change of plans!!
hugs.gif
Perhaps this will give you an opportunity to do something different.
hu.gif

I have a mixed flock and have found my salmon faverolles to be the sweetest of all my breeds.
In 2010 I decided to get an incubator and hatch eggs I found from breeders here at BYC, it's been the best thing since sliced bread.
big_smile.png
In fact I got a second incubator in 2011.....now I'm a hatching fool....and couldn't be happier.
Again, I'm sorry for the loss of the faverolles you had hoped to receive...but take heart you WILL have them one way or another!!!

Back
Top Bottom