Faverolles Thread

Faverolles should be kept separate from most other breeds. They are too docile to mix well with more feisty birds, they are quieter in both temperament and vocalization, the roos are no wheres near as loud as other breeds, and the girls are super mellow... and even in an all Fav flock you need to keep an eye on them so the roos don't over breed favorite hens. I will not knowingly sell ANY of my birds to people that want to keep them with other breeds that are likely to bully them; this means no Rocks, no New Hampshires, no Araucanas, and no barnyard mixes. I also call to follow up on how the birds do in their new homes to make sure they are not being picked on. I ordered 50 pullets from MPC, got 53, and they were all strong and super healthy except for 1 weak chick which I culled, I also culled 15 for bad toes, and another 8 were culled for poor beards, and another 3 were culled for smutty beards. This left a total of 26 which I reduced to 10 by 12 weeks of age. The best 3 were selected from these which I then used for 1 generation, then back crossed all the females produced to the Boulanger strain. No males were retained until 2 generations later. I did not observe any weakness in the chicks other then the 1 chick I culled the day I got them, and she may have just gotten squished or something during shipping. Favs are not any weaker then other breeds, but they are more passive... it is like the difference between putting a Pug dog with a bunch of Jack Russel terriers, you are comparing apples and oranges and the more active breed will seem "healthier" but it is a difference of personality and breed, not health.

DITTO! On the being bullied. They are way too docile even as adults to run with other breeds. If one is not careful one can miss that and then they starve to death. NOT pretty.
p
Faverolles should be kept separate from most other breeds. They are too docile to mix well with more feisty birds, they are quieter in both temperament and vocalization, the roos are no wheres near as loud as other breeds, and the girls are super mellow... and even in an all Fav flock you need to keep an eye on them so the roos don't over breed favorite hens. I will not knowingly sell ANY of my birds to people that want to keep them with other breeds that are likely to bully them; this means no Rocks, no New Hampshires, no Araucanas, and no barnyard mixes. I also call to follow up on how the birds do in their new homes to make sure they are not being picked on. I ordered 50 pullets from MPC, got 53, and they were all strong and super healthy except for 1 weak chick which I culled, I also culled 15 for bad toes, and another 8 were culled for poor beards, and another 3 were culled for smutty beards. This left a total of 26 which I reduced to 10 by 12 weeks of age. The best 3 were selected from these which I then used for 1 generation, then back crossed all the females produced to the Boulanger strain. No males were retained until 2 generations later. I did not observe any weakness in the chicks other then the 1 chick I culled the day I got them, and she may have just gotten squished or something during shipping. Favs are not any weaker then other breeds, but they are more passive... it is like the difference between putting a Pug dog with a bunch of Jack Russel terriers, you are comparing apples and oranges and the more active breed will seem "healthier" but it is a difference of personality and breed, not health.

DITTO! On the being bullied. They are way too docile even as adults to run with other breeds. If one is not careful one can miss that and then they starve to death. NOT pretty.
p
Quote:
i think it is so important that people be made aware of this, i knew when i got them they would be my 'special' birds- i have an ee hen that is that way, and i have to be careful with her- so when you cull you don't rehome as pet quality?

p

Thank you Sandkilaws and pfmerlin for your information.
I truly wish I'd known this in 2010. Before I found BYC I didn't know very much about faverolles. Choose to order them because of their pretty fuzzy faces, but Ideal Poultry didn't give any info on their sweet/docile/more fragile personality.
I had to learn the hard way and my favs had to suffer due to my ignorance.
sad.png

This is one of the reasons I am so greatful to BYC and all the knowledgeable people who are willing to share information with those of us who are trying to learn.
Thank you and hugs for your help!!!
hugs.gif

Christine

Last edited:
This is concerning. The folks at the local 'urban' feed shop (naming names without naming them), definitely did not mention anything regarding problems with keeping a salmon faverolle with other breeds. They did mention they are very docile and are susceptible to bullying, but not that it would be so big of a problem as to effect their health. Our SF has been holding her own but definitely the weakest, most docile and slowest to grow of the bunch. The other breeds I have are docile, except the RIR though the particular bird we have doesn't act particularly aggressive and is quickly becoming more and more cuddly, though nothing like our dark brahma who would sleep in our hands all day if we let her. The light sussex we added recently (all chicks are still between 4-6 wks old) seems to be more of a bully and I suspect may be picking feathers from our SF. I have another thread on that here: Thread

Anyways, I am wondering if you have strategies to minimize the potential problems for my SF or any other advice?

Thanks for your time.

Now, I have not had much experience yet, but I have my girls intermingled with my flock which includes some Araucanas, Orpingtons, Marans, and a few mutts. My girls are just under a year still and they hold their own just fine in a free range situation. I even had to remove two boys for being to big of bullies.
tongue.png
I am not breeding yet. They will be kept separate when it is time to breed them. They are not the top birds, but they are not bullied. I watch my birds quite a bit and my flock is harmonious.

Maybe I am just lucky so far. This has just been my experience with one line of birds. I will continue to watch them and separate if problems arise. Excuse her muddy beard. My girls are always getting the dirtiest beards!

Last edited:
You are so welcome. I am creating a new page on my website that will state that.-) Good luck.
Peter

Thank you Peter!!!
I believe your new page will help many folks who are looking into raising Faverolles.
A little bit of knowledge goes a long way and saves a lot of Faverolles from ignorance (mine included).
I used to think all chickens acted the same way and had no idea different breeds behaved in different manners.
Blessed be the sweet Faverolles, and pooyie on the bullies!! LOL
New pens to separate breeds are already happening!!!

It really depends on the bird and the reason culled. It also depends on the time of year and market. We have our birds for food for our table as well as pets, they have to be both to live here; this means they must be pleasant to be around, conform closely to the standard, perform well in egg production, retain good fertility with minimal effort or special treatment, and still perform as decent table birds. I generally sell my breeders, rather then cull them, to others when they are 2 1/2 years old, why they still have a season or 2 left in them, and I have completed all of my breeding goals for that animal. I only sell healthy stock, if it has an issue, it winds up either on our table or in the dogs dish- sounds harsh, but I knew what I was going to do long before I got into this breed. Anyone seriously interested in switching their breeding to a utility style flock keeping method can shoot me a PM and I will gladly explain how I do mine. This breed originated as a market fowl, hens were kept for eggs, turned into stewing hens when done laying their second year. very rarely they were retained for breeding another season but this was not considered the norm. Surplus cockerels were fattened for market. Back in the day this was not culling so much as a way of life, and that is how I raise my animals as well. We try not to name them, and if they earn a name, and I do mean earn, they get passed along to another person to further someone else in their breeding goals. I do the same with my New Zealand rabbits.

My family has a long term goal of providing 60% of our food from our half acre and local wild sources, like the ocean or wild blueberries. This means any birds (except the sebastapols) raised here must do double duty. I also raise Blue Slate turkeys, and I am adding Muscovy and Quail this year. In addition we raise New Zealand meat rabbits, have an orchard of more than 20 fruit bearing trees and vines, organic garden, and we added nut trees this year. I chose this breed because I felt I could contribute to improving the breed as a serious breeder... and for me, that means culling for improvements, management and to provide for my family's needs. I produce as many chicks as I can, the more birds I can produce, the better my selections will be for the future... if more breeders bred this way the breed would have much better vigor and meat qualities than it currently has. I only sell enough eggs and chicks to pay for the feed for the year, that is why I have the sebbies and why they are exempt from the table.

My fav roo is one of the sweetest birds I have ever had....even clamer than the silkies. So if someone is looking for a quiet calm bird to be around kids the faverolle breed is one to consider in my opinion...

My sweet Sammy loves to be held and cuddled...

Faverolles are addicting......just saying........

Back
Top Bottom