Faverolles Thread

Does her hens lay a large or med egg. One across the ctry says hers lay large eggs.?? I use my hens for beauty and for eggs. I do not breed or show but love for them to look like they should. Thanks
smile.png
Gloria Jean

Genetics question:

I have a salmon faverolle cockerel a really nice pullet, two so-so pullets and one with a split tail. I also have some that are apparently crossed with Ameraucanas (they have four toes on one or both feet).

What are the genetics behind the toes? I'm wondering what to expect when I breed these.

1) They were all out of the same batch of hatching eggs, so I'm wondering if I can be safe in assuming the five toed ones are indeed fully salmon faverolles and that their chicks will also have five toes?

2) If I breed the ones with odd numbers of toes, what will happen with the toes? And more importantly, if one of them has a chick with the proper number of toes, will it reliably produce five toed chicks?

We keep two flocks of chickens. One for showing (so not seriously) and one just for eggs. My daughter would like to sell hatching eggs locally, but I need to work out how carefully we need to track these particular chickens, or if we can continue pulling out the nicest from our flock for breeding purposes.
is the toes the only reason you think they where a cross??? color and or type should be way off if they where crossed... maybe you could post some pic's??? not all Fav's have 5 toes it is something to cull for... 2 parents with 5 toes will produce a chick ever once in a while with 4 toes... the harder u cull and the longer u cull for the proper placement and number of toes the less culls u will have... u can still use the 4 toed ones to breed with just be aware that u will get allot more 4 toed chicks that way... maybe that was what happened at the breeder u got them from (if there is no obvious color of type issues)

Genetics question:

I have a salmon faverolle cockerel a really nice pullet, two so-so pullets and one with a split tail. I also have some that are apparently crossed with Ameraucanas (they have four toes on one or both feet).

What are the genetics behind the toes? I'm wondering what to expect when I breed these.

1) They were all out of the same batch of hatching eggs, so I'm wondering if I can be safe in assuming the five toed ones are indeed fully salmon faverolles and that their chicks will also have five toes?

2) If I breed the ones with odd numbers of toes, what will happen with the toes? And more importantly, if one of them has a chick with the proper number of toes, will it reliably produce five toed chicks?

We keep two flocks of chickens. One for showing (so not seriously) and one just for eggs. My daughter would like to sell hatching eggs locally, but I need to work out how carefully we need to track these particular chickens, or if we can continue pulling out the nicest from our flock for breeding purposes.

If you have a lot of four toed offspring, it would be safe to assume that they are probably not purebred Faverolles. The polydactyl gene is incompletely dominant so some offspring may have five toes and some have four, or with four toes on one foot and five on the other. Even with a mating a two five toed birds, four toed offspring may still be produced.

Thank you so much. I will get some pictures. To me, the color looks good, but I'm no expert. Pretty new to the breed and totally new to deciphering standards. From the hatch, we got seven with five toes on each foot and six with four toes on one or both feet. Not all survived the summer (dog attack) but I'll post some pictures.

I don't like the prospects of having to start completely over, but oh well.

Pictures would help.

What variety Ameraucana jumped the fence? Are any of your females laying yet, and what color eggs?

I'm not sure, but I think wheaten? Going totally off memory there. I should be able to get some pictures tomorrow afternoon.

I'm pretty sure their leg color is correct. Why I'm suddenly second guessing myself, I don't know, but the toes seem the only issue.

And no, no one is laying yet. They're not quite six months old.

And THANK YOU so much everyone for your help

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
These pretty ladies (well you can only see one in my picture...but there are two there) followed me home from the fair today. I've been wanting favorelles for a LONG time, and picked up these two, even though I was not supposed to return home with more birds than I left with. I'm already in love!

Hey, pasofinofarm i did not know u where still around these parts... i for one have a wonderful Blue salmon hen that i hatched from your eggs in 2011 that i absolutely love... i have hatched quite a few chicks from her this year including 3 more gorgeous blue salmon pullets... if she was not molting right now i would post a few pic's... thanks for sharing her with me, Elias

Hey, pasofinofarm i did not know u where still around these parts... i for one have a wonderful Blue salmon hen that i hatched from your eggs in 2011 that i absolutely love... i have hatched quite a few chicks from her this year including 3 more gorgeous blue salmon pullets... if she was not molting right now i would post a few pic's... thanks for sharing her with me, Elias

HI! :)

Yes, still around... but very busy with milking the cows and goats and helping with the grandkids :) And I've still got that pesky day job (don't get me wrong, I love my job :) )

The chickens are really coming along great. I'm glad to hear that you still have that hen :)... I have a few old girls that have hit the 6 year mark and are still laying pretty good. I do love this breed and still consider it worth preserving.

My girls just went full out molt too... It looks like a pillow fight out there!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom