Favorite duck breed and why?

My rouens are pretty special, i like them all, but no matter what i’m doing the first heads to appear around the corner are the Rouens, possibly because one of them spent a month in the house recovering so she had lots of 1 on 1 time, or perhaps it is just a trait they have. When i was soaking a bumble, they were over pulling everything out of the “duck doctor bag” earning them the nicknames of “nurse bubbles and nurse bonkers”, filling the feed tubes they are right there under foot, change the water.. guess who is first in? They are also the loudest quackers, followed by one of the Pekins , Squabbles. My runners are cute and skittish, good egg layers however, I would like a couple more of those. My drake is a Pekin, hes a real cut up, always gives me a deep bow and. Cheerful “murp murp” whenever I visit then runs around ruffling his feathers impressively. My Pekin with the most trouble is Scuba, not sure what all ails her but she is slow, and doesnt quack very loud.. more of a squeek, but she’s happy and does all the other things the others do, they wait patiently for her and shes super friendly. If you are only going to have 2 (or 3) it would really behoove you to try to get the same gender.

I have two Pekins and two Swedish Blues. My swedes are very sweet, also imprinted on me and they still follow me around the yard, biting at my shoes hoping mealworms fall from the laces. My Pekins were less imprinted on me, they’ll follow me but keep their distance almost to just “keep an eye on me”. They will eat peas out of my hand when I have some in contrast to the blues who will snap at my hands defiantly demanding peas.

Attachments

• 4B09F537-327C-468B-ADB8-DEF01CC38186.jpeg
    4B09F537-327C-468B-ADB8-DEF01CC38186.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 11992A7A-C1F5-4616-95A1-F6BCBD3A23B5.jpeg
    11992A7A-C1F5-4616-95A1-F6BCBD3A23B5.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 1FA37270-7610-4194-8146-890380917EA7.jpeg
    1FA37270-7610-4194-8146-890380917EA7.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 8E8E5661-DEC1-4B8C-9CB7-4FBF9543D753.jpeg
    8E8E5661-DEC1-4B8C-9CB7-4FBF9543D753.jpeg
    602.3 KB · Views: 3
My rouens are pretty special, i like them all, but no matter what i’m doing the first heads to appear around the corner are the Rouens, possibly because one of them spent a month in the house recovering so she had lots of 1 on 1 time, or perhaps it is just a trait they have. When i was soaking a bumble, they were over pulling everything out of the “duck doctor bag” earning them the nicknames of “nurse bubbles and nurse bonkers”, filling the feed tubes they are right there under foot, change the water.. guess who is first in? They are also the loudest quackers, followed by one of the Pekins , Squabbles. My runners are cute and skittish, good egg layers however, I would like a couple more of those. My drake is a Pekin, hes a real cut up, always gives me a deep bow and. Cheerful “murp murp” whenever I visit then runs around ruffling his feathers impressively. My Pekin with the most trouble is Scuba, not sure what all ails her but she is slow, and doesnt quack very loud.. more of a squeek, but she’s happy and does all the other things the others do, they wait patiently for her and shes super friendly. If you are only going to have 2 (or 3) it would really behoove you to try to get the same gender.
Sorry I didn't see this, it stopped sending me email alerts. That's awesome! Pekins are really cute, but I also find rouens beautiful. Thanks for sharing your stories, I enjoyed them lol. :)

I have two Pekins and two Swedish Blues. My swedes are very sweet, also imprinted on me and they still follow me around the yard, biting at my shoes hoping mealworms fall from the laces. My Pekins were less imprinted on me, they’ll follow me but keep their distance almost to just “keep an eye on me”. They will eat peas out of my hand when I have some in contrast to the blues who will snap at my hands defiantly demanding peas.
Blue swedishes are so pretty! And that's adorable, I would've thought pekins would be friendlier because of everything i've read on the internet, but I guess every duck is unique. Thanks for sharing! :)

My favourite breed is Mandarin duck, they are not very friendly, but they are magically beautiful. I had a pair, but someone stole them last year, because they are very expensive here. I have Muscovies and some mixbreed domestic now. They are both lovely.
Aw Im sorry somebody stole them :(
Mandarins really are beautiful. I wonder if there's some way to tame them...
I'd probably buy them if they weren't so expensive and hard to tame. Thanks for responding to my thread :D

Back
Top Bottom