favorite dust bath recipe?

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
hey y'all --

Do you have a "recipe" for dust baths?

So far my chickens have had to make do with plain old dirt. My button quail have been getting Stall Dry or chinchilla dust to bathe in (button quail LOOOOOOOVE to dust bathe, btw
wink.png
). What do y'all like to use?

Any input welcomed!

I love that turtle!
lol.png

I want to mention that my button quail already know the perfect dust bath recipe: take one slice of wholegrain bread, apply body!
gig.gif

I swear I have never seen anything much cuter than a gaggle of dust bathing button quail, whether they're using the "real" dust bath or their bread to wallow in.
wink.png

The breathing of de over time can cause lung disease called silicosis no different than breathing dust from a concrete saw or any number of other nasty things that get caught up in your lungs and never come back out, I don't care to subject myself to that considering de is completely useless and also expensive. My chickens are around wild birds all the time and have never had a issue with parasites, they're in good health and so enjoy digging holes in a sunny spot and dusting away with dirt, I have read ash can be beneficial, probably more so than de and its free. As far as I'm concerned de is a modern day "snake oil"

Funny you should ask this question,,,I just made up a batch today and the birds are lovin it!!! Simple,,,,,Sand (play box sand) Mite powder (your choice,,just in case) and ash from my wood burning stove (old remedy,,,oldtimers swear by it). Thats it!!
D.gif
D.gif
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom