Favus....help

Katebd

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2019
So, based on images, I really believe that we have one chicken in our flock which has favus and not frostbite..it is white on the tips of the back of her comb..it has been cold, but not cold enough for frostbite I don't think. I will post a pic tomorrow when the sun is out again, but in the meantime, has anyone dealt with this before? I read monistat will work, but how much and when should I put it on, and will it hurt her if I am wrong and do we not eat her eggs then?? ugh..chickens..

Last edited:
It doesnt sound like favus, pics will help. However if it is favus, a cream with miconazole will treat it. Depending how bad it is, it will require continued treatment. Wear disposable gloves when applying the cream. It is contagious to other birds and can be to humans as well.

Pictures of the comb would be helpful. There could have been a comb injury, and sometimes those can look black, brown, or when starting to heal, whitish. But it also might be some frostbite.
I just added a photo...

It looks like some mild frostbite and some bleeding from being pecked or hurt from rubbing on something. It can take a week or more to see what damage has been done, but it should heal in a couple of weeks. Preventing frostbite during freezing weather is easier if you can prevent moisture in your coop. Wet bedding or poor overhead ventilation from end to end is important to remove humidity.

I might be wrong about the frostbite, but it looks like it to me.

It looks like some mild frostbite and some bleeding from being pecked or hurt from rubbing on something. It can take a week or more to see what damage has been done, but it should heal in a couple of weeks. Preventing frostbite during freezing weather is easier if you can prevent moisture in your coop. Wet bedding or poor overhead ventilation from end to end is important to remove humidity.

I might be wrong about the frostbite, but it looks like it to me.
I agree, it looks like Frostbite, the wattles look affected as well (those are a bit hard to see).

Personally, I would not rub anything onto the comb or wattles. "Handling" frostbite can make it worse (painful). If she is not being picked at by the others, then leave it be and just keep watch on it that it doesn't get infected.

I agree, it looks like Frostbite, the wattles look affected as well (those are a bit hard to see).

Personally, I would not rub anything onto the comb or wattles. "Handling" frostbite can make it worse (painful). If she is not being picked at by the others, then leave it be and just keep watch on it that it doesn't get infected.
Good eye, again Melody! The wattles are brown on the bottom, and that is definitely frostbite. Both wattles and comb will heal without treatment.

Back
Top Bottom