Fayoumis Crosses

Fayoumis x BR (the "boys") I'll just post 1 pic each of them. There are 4 and they all look very similar. Some of the combs are just amazing. Keep in mind these are only 4.5 wks old.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Thanks, but don't go out of your way for it. Though I certainly won't turn down meat.
big_smile.png

We lost 2 more in the past 2 days...I guess some just aren't as bright as others. One I was actually relieved about because it was one of the rattier looking cockerels.

I also decided today that Skylark is destined for the dinner plate. I separated him from the chicks yesterday (because he is getting aggressive) for the entire day to see what happened. They got independent of him quickly. I had hoped he'd start hanging with the big girls since a couple of them are showing interest in him and he is trying to act like a Roo. But first thing this morning when the chicks did not follow him like he wanted, he started chasing and grabbing them and treating them rather harshly, even pulling our their neck feathers. And it wasn't just the other boys he was doing it to. So, I tossed him in the brooder by himself and I'll finish fattening him up in there. He had to have gotten that attitude from his "mom"...I have a couple EE's that are pretty snippy. His "dad" was nothing like this.

The chicks have started hanging near the big girls, and they are getting along wonderfully. There are 2 cockerels that have my attention right now for having chicks that follow them and their docility. One is the Leghorn/EE, the other is the Leghorn/SexLink. The Fay/BR also seem like gentle boys, but they don't appear to be leaders...at least not yet. By the time we see each other again, they'll be over 8 weeks old and I should have a really good idea which will make good Roo's. I liked Skylark because he is BEAUTIFUL (especially now...WOW). But, looks don't mean anything to me when attitude is rotten. Like I have said before...there are too many Roos in the world to tolerate a bad one. Anyway, I'll pick out the best of the boys and let you decide which you want for your pullets.

Update time:

Skylark went into isolation for 4 days. Apparently it was just enough to cool him off and give the younger chicks a chance to man-up. They've been fine ever since, so we decided not to eat him.

Here he is at 11 weeks old:

And here are some random shots of the younger ones, which are 7wks 3 days today:

Next to the big girls for size comparison

Photo update: Skylark is 14 weeks and the others are 10 weeks and 2 days.

Skylark - He's still got some maturing to do, but it's easy to see how he'll fill out in time.

If you recall from post #26, there was a chick that looked like Skylark's twin. That chick also ended up being a cockerel and we named him "Pepper". These guys had the same parents, but the color is very different now...Skylark having cream tones, while Pepper is all black and white. First the two in 1 shot, then Pepper on his own:

Another couple of pics of my EF/Welsummer pullet from a few days ago.

In both pics, you will see my full EF hen in front and the hybrid pullet in back. However, the EF is not the mom. The pullet is EF Roo X Welsummer Hen.

They are on the middle roost here. The white crested roo in the back is Buff Laced Polish Roo X Dark Brahma hen.

Here is a pic of the EF Roo. He now has a badly frostbitten comb and is recuperating in my basement.

My boy is all grown up! As of 3 days ago, the hens have warmed up to him and he has officially established himself as the Roo. I'm guessing he's a little early on starting to do his, errr, duties? (The Leghorn we ad didn't even start until 20wks...Skylark has been trying for 2 weeks now.) But, he's been steadily at it and the ladies stopped beating him up for trying.
love.gif

Here he is at 18 weeks, Fayoumis x EE - Rooster:

I'm not real sure what to make of his comb...a mix between 'single' and 'pea.'

And here is the Fayoumis x Australorp pullet at 14 wks (the other one died):

Last edited:
Last photo-op for this guy. He's 20 weeks and officially an adult and established Rooster. I can't wait to hatch out some crosses between him and my hens...especially the SL Wyandottes. I think they will make pretty chickens, even if their eggs won't be large. Get a load of his comb. In the second pic you can make out clearly the bumps coming off the side. It's very cool.
big_smile.png

What a pretty bird. I am curious, is it a pullet or cockerel?

So can a NN x (something with feathered necks) cross be either bare necked or feather necked? Or are the offspring always feather necked? Is the disease resistance attached to the bare neck gene(s), or (I am presuming from your picture and comments) can it be in feather necked offspring as well?
50% NN 50% like this guy :)

Yes it's a cockerel. I don't know why they are disease resistant, I just know I have had wonderful experience with them - and they are cited in many places as being disease resistant.

The crosses have had all the awesomeness of the thrifty NN and lay incredibly well at around 20 weeks old. They are my most productive winter layers. Surprisingly.

At 8 weeks of age, that would be a cockerel, I'm guessing, right aoxa? I'm sure she'll come in and tell you about the NN gene, one I'm not well versed on myself.
Yes it is a cockerel. He's 2 copies of the barring gene as well, since I have barred Naked Necks.

Honestly I think mine are way better than most. I may be biased though ;)

You know Dipsy Doodle Doo on BYC (Lisa)? She has lots of fibromelanotic NN blue eggers and Ameraucanas. Your comment reminded me of her projects.
Yes, she has all kinds of crazy NNs! As do I :) They are so easy to work with.

I bet you I have a chicken that meets all of you "No's" on the list. hahaha

How bout this one.

Honestly.. They just make me laugh. I do not take them seriously.

Back
Top Bottom