Fayoumis Crosses

I'm going to shamelessly quote from my other thread and start using this one to post updated pics as she grows, to keep track.

Her attitude is ALL from her papa (the Roo, not me...she's the exact opposite of me). She is feisty, chirps a lot, and likes to be independent, and does not like to be held unless it's on her terms (sitting on an arm or finger where she can move about as she pleases). Her looks, so far, are like her mama.

This pic is at 1 wk old.

i thought it had the look of a partridge rock or Wyandotte... glad i didn't post first LOL

Quick Update. She is 3 weeks old (these were taken yesterday). I am starting to see some Fayoumis-like feathering, but definitely can still see the EE colors as well. Honestly, I thought she'd just turn out brown, but definitely going to have some white speckled in there at the very least. Personality-wise, she is ALL Fayoumis. She does NOT like to be played with or handled. She will sit on your arm or shoulder contently enough, but you had better keep those hands to yourself.
roll.png

Quick Update. She is 3 weeks old (these were taken yesterday). I am starting to see some Fayoumis-like feathering, but definitely can still see the EE colors as well. Honestly, I thought she'd just turn out brown, but definitely going to have some white speckled in there at the very least. Personality-wise, she is ALL Fayoumis. She does NOT like to be played with or handled. She will sit on your arm or shoulder contently enough, but you had better keep those hands to yourself.
roll.png

She looks exactly like my Fayoumi roo/Welsummer hen cross. Chick was all brown to start, and now still has a brown head and mostly brown feathers, but definite Fayoumi speckling on the breast area. Hoping I have a girls too. No real comb to speak of at 7 weeks. Should be neat to see if she will lay the dark Welsummer brown eggs.

She looks exactly like my Fayoumi roo/Welsummer hen cross. Chick was all brown to start, and now still has a brown head and mostly brown feathers, but definite Fayoumi speckling on the breast area. Hoping I have a girls too. No real comb to speak of at 7 weeks. Should be neat to see if she will lay the dark Welsummer brown eggs.
I bet you got a girl. IF you have a picture handy, post it...I'd love to see some mroe Fayoumis crosses! By this time next week, I should have about 18 (depending on hatch rate of what is left) from my experiement (thread link below). :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...cubation-fayoumis-crosses-and-leghorn-crosses

I have a couple updates. First, here is a picture of "Skylark" at 2-days-prior-to-4-weeks.

And the other update is that we have completed our hatch of the others. We have some Leghorn crosses, a RIR cross, and Fayoumis crosses. Since this thread is about Fayoumis, I'll focus on them. In the picture below, they are all the black ones, and the 1 sable/rust colored one. [The red chick with the stripes down its back is not one of them...he's a RIR cross.] 3 x Fayoumis/EE, and 7 x Fayoumis/Australorp OR Barred Rock (I can't tell the difference between them, and could not tell which eggs were from which hen...so it's anybody's guess). I'll be taking photos periodically as feathers develop, etc...just like I've been doing with the first one.

Fayuoumis are said to develop QUICKLY compared to other breeds, and that trait has not been lost on my cross. She is at 4 weeks now, and has 10 younger "siblings" (along with 8 other "cousins" from a different flock's eggs) that will be 1 week tomorrow. 2 days after introducing the younger chicks into the brooder (at 1 day old) our older chick "allowed" them to adopt her as their mother. At first it was more of an annoying "we're all going to follow you around whether you like it or not". But yesterday I noticed her actively teaching them to scratch and dig, and to eat certain plants in the large outdoor brooder. I also noticed her literally jump and peck at one of the adult hens who stuck its face up against the brooder to check them out. It seemed like she was protecting her "brood", so to speak, so I decided to test it out. I had my younger daughter go into the brooder and nudge them all into the yard. Skylark headed to a spot next to our house, and all the chicks followed. She continued teaching them what to eat and how to eat it, and when an older hen came by to check it out, she got defensive (though we didn't let them get too close because our hens could easily kill the whole lot of them if they were so inclined). I am facinated by this behavior in such a young chick.

Back
Top Bottom