Fayoumis Crosses

This is the first time today that I've checked out this thread. I was specifically looking for threads showing Fayoumis crossed with other breeds. Your Skylark sure did turn out great, I must say. The Fayoumis is noted for extreme disease resistance, but there are conflicting articles about temperament of them toward humans. You have a EF hen, not a rooster, correct?
I'm not skylark's owner, but I do have both a hen and roo Fayoumi. Neither are what I would call sociable with people, but not aggressive at all. They command respect from all the other chickens though.

I have lots of larger breed chickens, but my Fayoumi is the head roo. He is fantastic with the hens and very watchful. I have quite a few mixes that he has sired, and they all seem to share the Fayoumi's independent attitude. Both the full Fayoumi hen, and any of the mixed girls tend to forage farther than any of my other breeds do. They stay very wary of predators when they do though. I think the only con is that my female lays small eggs and only seasonally. She stopped laying around the end of August both this year and last. The mixes at this point seem to lay longer, but none have been through a winter yet.

This is the first time today that I've checked out this thread. I was specifically looking for threads showing Fayoumis crossed with other breeds. Your Skylark sure did turn out great, I must say. The Fayoumis is noted for extreme disease resistance, but there are conflicting articles about temperament of them toward humans. You have a EF hen, not a rooster, correct?
Butting in, cause I heard disease resistance.. Naked Necks are disease resistant ;)

I know they aren't for everyone.. but all it takes is one cock and breed it to regular hens and keep feathered necked offspring to incorporate their disease resistant genes. Just sayin'.. I have never had a nasty NN, and they lay so wonderfully.

"
Characteristics[edit]

Naked Neck chickens​
Despite its highly unusual appearance, the breed is not particularly known as an exhibition bird, and is a dual-purpose utility chicken. They lay a respectable number of light brown eggs, and are considered desirable for meat production because they need less plucking and they have a meaty body. They are very good foragers and are immune to most diseases. The breed is also reasonably cold hardy despite its lack of feathers. Naked Neck roosters carry a single comb, and the neck and head often become very bright red from increased sun exposure. This breed has approximately half the feathers of other chickens, making it resistant to hot weather and easier to pluck.
Recognized color varieties include: black, white, cuckoo, buff, red, and blue in the United Kingdom[5] and black, white, buff, and red in the United States.[6][2]

Last edited:
I had a Fayoumis Roo (he has since died). He was wonderful with the hens, pretty much ignored people, and dominant to other male birds. The hens I have that have Fayoumis in them have a temperment akin to White Leghorns...self-sufficient yet flighty around peolpe. My current Roo (Skylark died after our dog got to him...he survived the inital attack, but succumbed to internal injuries after a couple weeks) is Skylark's son, with 25% Fayoumis in him. He's even-tempered, not so flighty, but is not as diligent at watching over the flock. After he got attacked by a (racoon?) he has kept mostly to himself. I'm hoping it's just shell-shock and he eventually gets back to being a Roo.

I'm not skylark's owner, but I do have both a hen and roo Fayoumi. Neither are what I would call sociable with people, but not aggressive at all. They command respect from all the other chickens though.

I have lots of larger breed chickens, but my Fayoumi is the head roo. He is fantastic with the hens and very watchful. I have quite a few mixes that he has sired, and they all seem to share the Fayoumi's independent attitude. Both the full Fayoumi hen, and any of the mixed girls tend to forage farther than any of my other breeds do. They stay very wary of predators when they do though. I think the only con is that my female lays small eggs and only seasonally. She stopped laying around the end of August both this year and last. The mixes at this point seem to lay longer, but none have been through a winter yet.
Thank you for that assessment!

Butting in, cause I heard disease resistance.. Naked Necks are disease resistant ;)

I know they aren't for everyone.. but all it takes is one cock and breed it to regular hens and keep feathered necked offspring to incorporate their disease resistant genes. Just sayin'.. I have never had a nasty NN, and they lay so wonderfully.

"
Characteristics[edit]

Naked Neck chickens​
Despite its highly unusual appearance, the breed is not particularly known as an exhibition bird, and is a dual-purpose utility chicken. They lay a respectable number of light brown eggs, and are considered desirable for meat production because they need less plucking and they have a meaty body. They are very good foragers and are immune to most diseases. The breed is also reasonably cold hardy despite its lack of feathers. Naked Neck roosters carry a single comb, and the neck and head often become very bright red from increased sun exposure. This breed has approximately half the feathers of other chickens, making it resistant to hot weather and easier to pluck.
Recognized color varieties include: black, white, cuckoo, buff, red, and blue in the United Kingdom[5] and black, white, buff, and red in the United States.[6][2]
Gosh, Justine, I know they are great layers, but I swear, I couldn't look at even one of them on a daily basis, I'm sorry.
hide.gif
I don't eat my birds, not unless I get a nasty rooster, which is almost unheard of with the ones I breed from so I really don't need dual purpose.

I had a Fayoumis Roo (he has since died). He was wonderful with the hens, pretty much ignored people, and dominant to other male birds. The hens I have that have Fayoumis in them have a temperment akin to White Leghorns...self-sufficient yet flighty around peolpe. My current Roo (Skylark died after our dog got to him...he survived the inital attack, but succumbed to internal injuries after a couple weeks) is Skylark's son, with 25% Fayoumis in him. He's even-tempered, not so flighty, but is not as diligent at watching over the flock. After he got attacked by a (racoon?) he has kept mostly to himself. I'm hoping it's just shell-shock and he eventually gets back to being a Roo.
Sorry to hear about Skylark's demise. He was gorgeous. I think most of the Fayoumis crosses are very good looking birds. I don't mind a more independent bird, though my husband must make pets of all of them, including the guineas we used to have. If an EF can be tamed as a lap dog, he can do it. I hope your rooster recovers. Raccoon attacks (well, any predator, really) have been known to change future behavior of roosters, usually not for the better, unfortunately.

Last edited:
I'm with Cynthia, those naked neck birds kinda skeeve me out
ep.gif

I thought at first maybe they were one of those birds you just needed to see in person, one that didn't photograph well, but nope, I saw one. Not for me, I'm afraid.

For your enjoyment, I did find these two interesting videos on youtube, one of a Fayoumi rooster doing tricks and one of EF hen beating the snot out of a possum (kept wondering when the owner was going to get that nasty thing out of the coop and if she was broody or just an EF!). These belong to anyone here? Note in the last video, the other chickens are cowering while that tiny, feisty EF hen holds the line. At first, I thought it was a rooster and the hen took over, but when I watched it the second time, I realized it was all her!

0.jpg
0.jpg

Last edited:
I thought at first maybe they were one of those birds you just needed to see in person, one that didn't photograph well, but nope, I saw one. Not for me, I'm afraid.

For your enjoyment, I did find these two interesting videos on youtube, one of a Fayoumi rooster doing tricks and one of EF hen beating the snot out of a possum (kept wondering when the owner was going to get that nasty thing out of the coop and if she was broody or just an EF!). These belong to anyone here? Note in the last video, the other chickens are cowering while that tiny, feisty EF hen holds the line. At first, I thought it was a rooster and the hen took over, but when I watched it the second time, I realized it was all her!

0.jpg
0.jpg

WOW! Those are some cool birds!

I was impressed at her chutzpa for a 3 lb bird. You note all the others are standing back, hunkering down and letting her take on the predator like any rooster would have done. Gotta love a tough feathered woman!

The rooster shows some real intelligence. He reminds me of one I have here, Deacon, the guy we call The One Spur Wonder. I really love smart roosters. Love to pass on those genes!

Last edited:

I'm just saying to get the disease resistant genes out of them. This is a NN crossed with a Barred Rock - 8 weeks. They are so incredibly vigorous ;)

Nice bird, Justine. Still.... NN here? Will have to think about that some. Anything is possible. I'm considering Fayoumis when they would never have been on my radar before recently, pretty as they are.

Back
Top Bottom