FDA admits chicken contains cancer causing arsenic!

The fast food chains also put a pink slime in their burgers that is known to cause cancer.

I have read about the pink slime in hamburger and how gross it might seem, but have not seen anything that shows positive link to cancer. Where might that be found?

This conversation serves as a reminder why I choose to be a 'micro-farmer': to grow or raise most of our own food, and to source all our meats from local, sustainable farms who don't use the laundry list of fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, anti-biotics, hormones, etc,etc, ad nauseum that poison so much store bought food these days.

Bravo to all here who work hard to be free of this crap.

~~~ Tread cautiously as one of the makers of "pink slime".. also seems to be a sponsor of this site (*points to Nutrena ad* Nutrena is owned by Cargill.) ~~~ Just sayin...you would be surprised how many branches these large companies have.

Pink slime.. a lot of it is hype for the sake of a story. (Not endorsing it.. just the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.) As for links to cancer- the closest is consumption of red meat increasing risks- but as for the chems they use in processing (ammonia/ ammonium hydroxide &/or citric acid.. not sure about possible others)- are not listed as carcinogens. Regardless- they were deceptive/misleading about a product. People buying ground beef are expecting ground meat- NOT- centrifugally rendered, chemically decontaminated, pureed bovine scraps.

The commercial food industry... let's just say they're very good at advertising and very precise on how they answer questions.

FDA Q&A regarding Roxarsone if anyone wanted to get a little more info on it. Also w/ the FDA & EPA- take it with a grain of salt in that they are not only understaffed- but typically caught up in political persuasions. EPA drinking water standard on arsenic.

Arsenic- and many heavy metals- occur naturally and in some areas it is a much bigger problem than others. A suggestion would be if you are utilizing a private well- it is a good idea at some point to have the water tested... just as having your soil tested would be wise (by us- lead is a big issue.) Some plants accumulate certain elements/ heavy metals more so than others. Rice is one that will collect arsenic, just as clover is one that tends to accumulate phosphorus, legumes and nitrogen, etc.

It's kinda interesting that the simple question " What am I eating?" is one most of us really can't answer accurately, much less what the mystery origin meat at the market was fed.

Not to point fingers (*stares at AxisofBeagles*), I know I am not the only one that finds getting frustrated w/ the system has lead to enjoyable results... and further curiosity. Anyone else spoiled on rich sunny yolked eggs- and then lamented at having to get ones from the store in winter? Pale.. sad.. eggs. Or how the produce right from the garden just tastes better. (When you're having to chase little kids away from Sugar Snap Peas just so you have enough left for the dinner you are planning.. kinda leaves me torn. I mean- they're willingly eating peas.. PEAS.. no dip- just right off the vine. Even my ultra picky neices that typically will only consume vegetative matter that is either smothered in cheese or (battered) deep fried- loved these. Having them plant & help in the garden also seems to open the door to eating more veggies. When you have super picky non-veggie eaters- so much so that doctors are concerned- to have them eat veggies is enough to make you cry with joy... then dig up the rest of your yard.)

Maybe getting frustrated/mad/informed is a good thing- incentive to take action.

THis last year I have been making plans, and some action, to change the feeding of my food animals. GOal is to go smaller and more sustainable. We have not polluted our land all thee years just becuase fundamentally we didn't like poisons, like herbicides and such, and continue to look for substitutes for the few we occassionally still us. Our land is healthy- I just need the skills to make it work for us. Finding that info can be a challenge . . . .

We eat less grain than we used to. Rice is usually used to make heating pads by filling an athletic sock around here!!

Thanks for posting the links.

Pink slime in maccas??? That's good to know as I have one kid who is always asking can we have maccas. I think I will show her this and cure the nagging lol

Its funny, I have not bought food products from china for as long as I can remember because you just don't know what they are using in them. I would have chosen the US produced brand instead with no concerns but the more I read of this the more I think they probably should be on my do not eat list too.

I wonder where our feeds come from in Australia and what is contained in them.

Okay edited to add a link for Australians
http://www.chicken.org.au/page.php?id=14&issue=20

Apparently this was on our tv current affairs program back in May 2012 when one of these type feeds was suspended. According to this though there is much more arsenic in drinking water.

"The level of inorganic arsenic found in the US FDA study last year which prompted suspension of sales of 3-Nitro by Pfizer in the US and Australia was 1.4 parts per billion in chicken liver. This is a minute amount when compared to for example the guidelines for drinking water issued by the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) which recommends that the concentration of arsenic in drinking water be no more than 10 parts per billion (click here to access the guidelines, or you can access the specific factsheet on arsenic from these guidelines by clicking here). This type of comparison puts the finding in perspective and this is no doubt why it was assessed as safe and approved for use by APVMA in Australia in the first place. The science does not support the suspension of 3-Nitro."

Not sure whether that means this really isn't an issue or that I should stop drinking water as well!

Last edited:
Not sure whether that means this really isn't an issue or that I should stop drinking water as well!

Part of the issue is that we are being guided by 'regulations' that are really intended to allow for commervial production of food while trying to also protect the health of the publc. In the case of something lke metals (such as arsenic) the problem is that it can be cumulative. We 'allow' certain levels in our watet. In our meat. In our grain. In our chicken. Whatever.

I'd rather avoid the accumulation of such things in my food - or in my chicken's food.

Part of the issue is that we are being guided by 'regulations' that are really intended to allow for commervial production of food while trying to also protect the health of the publc. In the case of something lke metals (such as arsenic) the problem is that it can be cumulative. We 'allow' certain levels in our watet. In our meat. In our grain. In our chicken. Whatever.

I'd rather avoid the accumulation of such things in my food - or in my chicken's food.

Actually that is a good point and why we dont eat a lot of foods with additives in them. Each food on its on may meet the guideline but when they are eaten all the time what is the cumulative effect of all those low levels. Wont enough low levels add up to a high level eventually.

Quote: Some "chemicals" are addative and some are not, in terms of 'does the body accumulate most of the "chemical" in the body tissue'. Years ago I can remember a professor making a comment about adipose tissue and he had no intention of losing weight and having the fat- absorbing chemicals get released. THe other effect of chemicals is that is causes a bit of damage and then goes on its merry way, or uses up antioxidents. ( I'm using the term " chemical" to generally cover just about anything. )

Some "chemicals" are addative and some are not, in terms of 'does the body accumulate most of the "chemical" in the body tissue'. Years ago I can remember a professor making a comment about adipose tissue and he had no intention of losing weight and having the fat- absorbing chemicals get released. THe other effect of chemicals is that is causes a bit of damage and then goes on its merry way, or uses up antioxidents. ( I'm using the term " chemical" to generally cover just about anything. )

Sorry thats my bad explaining what I mean LOL

What I mean is our daily recommended dose of something may be (just totally made up amount) 5 gms per day. A food is okay because its daily amount contained per serve is only 1 gms.

However the days of all these processed foods being treats are long gone so in an average day a child may consume 10 foods all with that 1gms in them. So add it all up and and they have now consued 10gms today, twice the allowable amount. So although the food itself is below the allowance to be safe the amount they have consumed in one day is most definatly not.

So its not the accumulation in the body tissue I meant, It was the accumulated total of these additives being consumed each day.

Back
Top Bottom