Feather damage from rooster treading- too much attention on one hen?

KnittingChick3

Chirping
May 19, 2017
I'm wondering if there is a point when a rooster shows too much attention to one hen? I brought this girl in to give her a bath since her bum feathers get really poopy, for whatever reason (perhaps it's related?)
20171124_115347.jpg

I knew she had some treading damage to her feathers and she's been wearing a hen saddle, but I didn't realize the damaged feathers were this extensive.
20171124_115340.jpg

It's pretty much her whole back from shoulders to tail and goes down the sides pretty far under her wings. The pictures only show about half the damage since she didn't want to stand still for her photo.
20171124_115220.jpg

I have 8 hens (2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Gold Laced Wyandottes, 2 Speckled Sussex, & 1 White Leghorn) and 1 rooster. You would think that would be plenty to spread the love around... but the other hens hardly let him near. They'll follow him around for treats and what-not, but they won't let him mate; only the Buff Orpingtons. Every time he approaches one of the others, she squawks at him and steps away. (He's a nice rooster and doesn't try to assault them or anything, he just walks away.)

Does anyone know- is this normal hen/rooster behavior?
Is it because the Buffs are more docile?
Is the damage getting too bad for even the saddle?

For the last three questions on your post....
1. Yes. This is very typical for hens and roosters to participate in- even the hens will peck another hen's saddle area (for fun??). Idk. That seems kind of cruel...
2. Yes, most likely.
3. No. I'd try to isolate the hen if you can, to see if her feathers grow back. This may just be something she has to deal with, if she's very submissive. I had to totally get rid of my roo because the hen's back was so bad. Her feathers didn't grow back for a year. Hopefully this will get fixed really soon, and you don't have to isolate the rooster, too. I'd just wait it out and see is she fixes the problem herself. Good luck with your flock!

I would pair her up with another hen for atleast a month, let the poor thing recover. You roo is most likely breeding her the most. Roosters tend to pick favourites and ignore the other hens .give her a break!

So, I waited a while to see what would happen. I left the saddle on her and left her alone, but it's only gotten worse. Now her entire back is bare halfway down the sides, she only has a few tail feathers left, and her shoulders ( that's what I call the top of the wing closest to the back) have bare patches and broken feathers. Poor thing is already half plucked...
I like my rooster; he's a good boy. He seems to genuinely take care of his hens and he isn't human aggressive. I don't want to get rid of him or put him in quarantine. (I've heard that other people who have done that end up with a previously nice rooster turning aggressive.)
So, I put the hen in quarantine. I feel kind of bad about it since she's going to have to be in there for a while for all those feathers to grow back. Maybe when the weather is nice, we'll let her out to play, but she's going to have to spend a lot of time in her cage.
Maybe Walter the rooster will learn to spread the love around a little bit more evenly. He has 8 hens, he doesn't need to pay all this attention to poor Blondie...

Here's some pictures. I'm going to have to change her name to Baldie instead of Blondie.
20180206_085315.jpg

Also, guess who the egg-eater in the flock is... I caught her red handed. Poor Blondie probaby started because she needs to make up for all the protein needed to grow back these feathers. So, the eggs in the corner are fake eggs, in case she lays, then it will help keep her from just turning around and eating it.
20180206_085332.jpg

Back
Top Bottom