Feather eating

Kedwar72

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
Does anyone have any experience with a chicken eating fallen feathers? So far no pecking off of herself or her sisters, but my 10 week old hen is eating feathers off the floor of the coop and I’m wondering if this can cause an intestinal blockage? Should I change their feed? They eat medicated chick feed and I give them meal worms 3 or so days per week as a snack. Thank you! Kendra

It is common for chickens to eat feathers that have fallen out on the floor of the coop.

It usually does not cause any problems.

You could make sure they have access to grit (small rocks), because that is what the gizzard uses to grind up the things they eat (including feathers.)

It is common for chickens to eat feathers that have fallen out on the floor of the coop.

You could make sure they have access to grit (small rocks), because that is what the gizzard uses to grind up the things they eat (including feathers.)
Yes, this is true. Mine do the same thing! Just watch that she doesn't begin pecking them off of herself or worse the other hens!

Thank you so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom