Feather Loss-Bare Belly-NOT MOLTING

People put Sevin dust and spray on their garden but I would read the package to see if it would kill the worms (and other creepies) that you want in your compost.

Last edited:
Hi... I'm the original poster of this issue.... bare belly.
I've concluded it's NOT mites. and again... it's not a molting issue. And to be honest....
I'm still not sure what 's causing this.
It could be a pecking issue.... I've got a couple of Black Stars and I've noticed one of them
goes up behind unsuspecting birds and plucks at their feathers. The other thing I thought
it may be is since it's in the same area on the affected birds.... maybe there's something in the
wood chips used in their nest boxes. But not all the birds have this. Still a mystery.

Capebird, I have a theory how this works. See what you think?

I think it's a combination of a nasty habit that begins with the pecking order, and then molting. I've had the same problem with my biggest bird, a buff brahma who is quite low in the pecking order. She also has the red, bare butt that's been going on for a year.

There is a red production hen who I've seen attempt to pick other birds feathers, but no one allows it except the buff who hardly protests at all. Last year the year old buff had magnificent feathering, but I noticed her back feathers looked like they were getting broken off on the ends. Then everyone started molting. Everyone grew back nice feathers, except the buff's back and butt remained red and bare. Some of the folicles looked like they would never grow back, with repeated plucking. :(

Now this year's molt, I paid special attention to the buff's new pin feathers. I knew she was getting picked, so I used the pick no more type black ointment. I think is made by Rooster Booster at Tractor Supply. This worked quite well, but she still got picked some. I noticed as her back pin feathers grew out, they lay flat to the body. New feathers get a chance to grow out around the edges of the bare spot because they are hidden. Eventually her back is covered with new feathers, some are stained from the ointment. Her butt is another story. I saw every single pin feather coming in nicely. Next day most were missing, or bleeding. Butt feathers grow straight out, which accounts for fluffy butts. So because the butt pin feathers are sticking straight out, they are right there ready to be picked.

I am still battling the bare butt problem, but the ointment does help some. Maybe the pinless peepers would help? I can't get rid of the red, I love them all.

I tried to get help for this issue once before and I'm trying again. I've got a number of birds that have feather loss in their belly area starting just below the vent. The exposed skin can be very red. I thought this was a mite issue….but I've never seen any mites, lice or the like. Is there anything else that could be causing this that I should consider? Pict below. Thanks for the help.

I have an Australorp hen who will remove some her own feathers from her breast when she is broody and sitting on eggs. One thing to remember about moulting, since this is that time of year, is that they moult in sections. They generally begin at the head and end at the tail feathers during the process, which is what I suspect. You can help growth of feathers with moult supplements I prefer to use rather than buying a list of ingredients to formulate myself.

Here are some things to consider about feather loss, some of which have already mentioned by a few forum members:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/973/feather-loss-in-chickens

I've just noticed 1 of my girls is losing feathers underneath her and she's keeping herself isolated her comb and wattles are fine she's eating and drinking I thought she was egg bound as she's showing some symptoms buy my friend and I both checked and it's not egg binding she seems so depressed though

"I thought this was a mite issue….but I've never seen any mites,"

If they are Red Mites you won't likely see them on the birds during the daylight. They will get on the birds at night. Walk into your coop after dark with a white paper towel and rub it along the bottom of your perch/roost. If it is covered in blood then you have mites and have to take action.

As I mentioned earlier I would also check the level or protein in your feed, and make sure it is fresh. Adding more protein will help the birds get the feathers back sooner.

I also have the same problem with only four of my leghorns they have never had feathers on their belly or under areas .
their full grown now and have never had any feathers

Unrelated to I have noticed that one of my chickens chest is really swollen but I can't catch her to feel it any suggestions on what it might be

Back
Top Bottom