Feather loss in the rear....

Quote:
Blukote is an antiseptic, you can get it at Tractor Supply and probably other farm type stores.

It's most useful where a wound is bleeding to help fight any infection and to camouflage the red color of blood as chickens are drawn to it and will continue to peck at it.
I've found that the dark blue color also can attract attention of even the wounded bird itself.

It stains badly so beware of that if you use it. I spray some into a small cup and apply to bird with a qtip or small paint brush.

Ah yes.. Blu-Kote..not Bluein..ha..

I worry about Blu-Kote because of ingesting it..That stuff has so many different chemicals in it including urea..

As of today, the new feathers are making their way. I don't see any wounds or signs of excessive pecking causing any open wounds.

Think I will give it a few days and see how it's going.

Thank you guys for all your input and help.
I feel more relaxed about it now.

Your girl's rear doesn't look too bad and as long as the new feathers are growing in you should be okay. I used the blue kote b/c my girl's bums were bright red, causing the other hens to try and peck at them. They still have bald bums, but they aren't so red anymore, hopefully they will grow some feathers soon!

im not sure if blu- kote and blueing are the same but blueing since I live on a farm we use sometimes on horses and so we have some in stock but u can find it in a near tractor supply or Agway im sure.
good luck

Ah ok...i thought that one was a typo...
I'm gonna try and steer clear of any harsh topical's for now. Few more days and I will check to see if feathers are coming in okay..

Thanks for the info and the help!

My goodness it never ends...Not sure if I should start a new post or not, for now I will just add it to this one..

So I saw these on Gilly's feathers today, they are scattered throughout her feathers all over the place...
No idea what they are, but gross.

Back
Top Bottom