Feather loss/red around the vent, pics posted

I changed food and cleaned the coops I will put seven dust on monday ( I am out of town) I think the food had allot to do with my issues. So they all have the right food( lay and grower for the youngns), cabbage hanging in a few spots to keep them busy, and probiotic wet mash just to make sure they are as healthy as I can get them. Thank you guys i will let you know how they do!

If you haven't sevin dusted yet, a great, easy way to do it is to put some inside of an old knee high and tie a knot at the top and use it as sort of a "powder puff". I did this when I was
barnie.gif
totally freaking out
barnie.gif
about my mite problem, and it worked great! (Huge thank you to my fellow BYC'ers!) Plus, so you don't waste it, you can put the unused portion still inside the sock in a ziplock baggie and use it again next time. Saves dust and makes it SUPER EASY to apply!
big_smile.png
Good luck and keep us posted!

ETA: PS- My dog is a pit, I dearly love him and he's such a sweetie!

Last edited:
It's not just my babies! I have tried EVERYTHING! (Short of giving each hen her own cage) The hens get layer crumbles, veggies, scratch, crushed cat food, yogurt, you name it. My chickens look a little worse than yours. My roo is almost nekkid. He looks just like Foghorn Leghorn or well, he did at one time. I tried hot pick, blucote, pinetar.... It didn't start until this spring either. We live in the desert so maybe that's whats wrong?
hmm.png

Well, it's not just the vent areas that are red. My roo's neck is scarlet red and they seem to be losing the feathers as well. On most of the chickens the bare areas are flesh toned. As to sunburn? Theu do have quite a bit of shade.
hmm.png

You are not alone, my babies are balding to. Cept our feather loss is on the back, and chest area. Thought my don juan of a rooster might be the culprit. But my girls seem to love their scratch, and I spoil them with it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They do get their layer pellets, but they seem to bypass the pellets, and wait for more scatch. The posts are most helpful, thanks
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I see there have been no posts here for a while. I have the exact same symptom on several of my hens. They have been getting Layena daily, clean water twice a day, get outside when weather permits etc. I don't think I could feed them better. They also get grit. I have not given them any vitamins or anything like that.

Mine look exactly like the photos on the initial post; feathers missing, red and a few sores. I'll get some seven today.

I need to add, no mice or rats and we have 20 hens and two roosters. They are 9 months old. Only about 5 or 6 of the hens have this issue. Would lice or mites not be on all of them?

Last edited:
Hi,

2 of my 4 hens also look like the original pictured hens. I give them layena pellets, fresh water, plenty of room. As I have never had this before in 10 years--the only new thing added was a bale of straw for bedding( I have always used wood shavings in the past) trying to save money. I wonder if some sort of lice or something came in with the straw? Sevin dust not working for me. Has anyone else seen improvement in their hens?

Thanks,

Sorry to revive such an old topic but... A few of my hens look lile this too cept theyre also missing feathers on their backs. I was feeding layena but the shells got soft so i switched back to my local co op feed 20% laying crimbles. They also have oysyer shell available. I have 12 hens and 2 roos togeather. I know i need some more hens in there. The additions are still too young. They were free ranging but staryed hiding eggs so i cooped them run was 50 x100. Pretty big. When the feather loss started it was only one hen. Shes been this way since august. I dusted everyone and moved them to a new coop even kept dusting she never got better now 4 are like that and getting worse. It looks almost like their molting cuz the feathets started growing back. But they never come in. Now my free ranging banties are starting too look like that too. I started with DE. Didnt help. Tried sevin. Still have it am on poultry dust now. When it started i only had one roo for 15 hens and they were free ranging. Help!!! Did anyone who posted here have ANY luck??? If so ill just keep plugging away and hoping.

Back
Top Bottom