Feather loss

jdfog2

Songster
Feb 5, 2023
West Central Indiana
I copied this from the "Sticky" thread at the top of this subtopic and filled it in the best I could.
Not sure if this is even a real "Issue" but I am a first time chicken caretaker of my own chicks (other than feeding and watering relatives birds for years in the past)

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Buff Orpington Pullet, 5 weeks old, not largest in the brooder, but doesn’t seem overly light compared to the others.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. The issue is the chick is missing feathers around the top of it’s neck from just below it’s head to it’s shoulders. (Looks like it has been partially plucked there) Overall behavior appears to be fine. But I haven’t had much time to observe since seeing this issue arise.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Just noticed tonight. But was away on vacation a week and returned home late last night. Son’s (adult) girlfriend was taking care of birds at our house while we were away.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not seen so far in the other 4 Buff Orps or the 5 Gold Laced Wyandottes in the same brooder.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure. Maybe they are too crowded for their size/age ?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Regular Chick Starter and normal water.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. No abnormal stool observed in brooder

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? None so far. Planning to place in a separate brooder. Will also add ACV to waterer

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Not sure at this point but hopefully can treat myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pic will be posted ASAP (I wrote this in MS Word on my PC. Will log in from phone and add photo after I post this)

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use – Ten (5 week old) chicks in a 110 gallon water tank with a brooder plate, waterer and feeder. Bedding is wood chips. There is no odor. Bedding has been changed every day to day and a half the past week as birds have gotten bigger and messier.

Sorry these aren't great pics. I suspect this is due to other birds pecking but just want to make sure. Would parasites even be possible for chicks that haven't had any outdoors exposure?
20230330_185352.jpg

Attachments

• 20230330_185353.jpg
    20230330_185353.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom