Feather loss.

Just something to consider....

Some people feed their hens layer feed and some go with all flock + oyster shell on the side. Layer is generally lower protein, but has calcium for egg shell development. All Flock is the opposite.

I started in the former camp, but moved to the latter. The reason is that there are too many exceptions to layer feed- when the birds are young, all cockerels, older hens, when they are molting and/or resting in winter, etc. The extra calcium is bad for the birds under those conditions.

All flock is higher protein (which I prefer anyway) and oyster shell is cheap. You can offer it to all chickens (except chicks which can't eat full pellets) and not worry about switching. Just be sure the oyster shell is "on the side" and they'll eat as much/little as they need.
Yes, me too! I only have 3 hens but 1 doesn’t lay. They’re happier on All Flock and look better, just make sure you always have oyster shell available.

I just bought 4 bags of layer feed (buy 3 get one free) for my 7 chickens. Opened the 1st bag yesterday.
Well, they don't last forever, so I recommend you go with supplemental protein. 16% is a minimum protein for egg laying, not an optimal amount.

The nutrient levels given as standards are set by the factory farms. They aren't interested in best health or longer life, but more in maximum egg/meat production for the least cost.

Chickens that don't live very long don't need great health. That is why many backyard chicken owners differ from industry practice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom