Ragged/Wispy-Looking Feathers

RebelEgger

Free Ranging
May 10, 2020
Chester, Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Pictured below is my rooster Steven. He is an 8-month-old barnyard mix. He was a shiny smooth handsome bird. In the past 1-2 weeks I noticed he had missing feathers on his neck behind his wattles. I thought maybe it was from his wattles dipping into one of their snacks and then sticking to his neck. Today I noticed the feathers on his back and chest are looking fuzzy, and his neck where the feathers are missing looks slightly scabby. I don't see him scratching, he will not allow me to examine him. I tried to catch him today but he said no thanks. He lives in a coop with 2 ladies who look completely fine.

I have 9 month old hen in another coop who also has missing neck feather but that's it, I don't see any mites on her. My 1.5 yo rooster, PJ, in that coop also has a bald neck behind his wattles and the rest of his neck feathers look wispy - like he sprayed himself with hairspary then blow dryed it (which is how Steven is looking). There was another hen who I discovered had the back of her neck bald, I examined her (last week) and didn't see any mites, this hen was found dead yesterday, no obvious signs of mites that I could see on her at that time either.
IMG_7068.jpg
IMG_7067.jpg
IMG_7066.jpg
IMG_7065.jpg
IMG_7064.jpg
IMG_7063.jpg

My flock does have Mareks disease - I have not had a PCR done, only necropsy.

They eat grower feed, 16% protein.

Has anyone seen anything like this in their birds?

16% is really low protein for grower? Is it a local feed?
He could have deplumming mites or the girls are nibbling him for protein.
Hi @nuthatched
We get it at Peavy Mart. I was using feed from Shur-Gain but switched to this recently...
However, I think the problem was noticed on the other birds prior to this feed being started but <i can't remember for certain.

• Crude Protein (min) 16.0%
  • Phosphorus (act) 0.7%
  • Crude Fat (min) 2.0%
  • Vitamin A (min) 10,000 IU/kg
  • Crude Fibre (max) 6.0%
  • Vitamin D (min) 2,500 IU/kg
  • Sodium (act) 0.15%
  • Vitamin E (min) 25 IU/kg
  • Calcium (act) 1.0%
  • feed.jpeg

Hi @nuthatched
We get it at Peavy Mart. I was using feed from Shur-Gain but switched to this recently...
However, I think the problem was noticed on the other birds prior to this feed being started but <i can't remember for certain.

• Crude Protein (min) 16.0%
  • Phosphorus (act) 0.7%
  • Crude Fat (min) 2.0%
  • Vitamin A (min) 10,000 IU/kg
  • Crude Fibre (max) 6.0%
  • Vitamin D (min) 2,500 IU/kg
  • Sodium (act) 0.15%
  • Vitamin E (min) 25 IU/kg
  • Calcium (act) 1.0%
  • View attachment 3750391
I'd switch to a better feed with atleast 18% protein. I'd also look into depluming mites, I believe there's an article on them. I'm not sure what to do after that.

The hens in his flock are feather pecking/plucking him. It may be caused by low protein diet, but is more likely the result of boredom from winter confinement.

The hens in his flock are feather pecking/plucking him. It may be caused by low protein diet, but is more likely the result of boredom from winter confinement.
These 2 hens are bullies, which is why I separated them from the main flock. They have never free-ranged before, we have had way too many previous losses with predators, so we no longer allow anyone to free-range.

My other rooster in the big coop has wispy-looking neck feathers with a bald patch as well though, and I really don't believe any of his girls would pick on him - he wouldn't tolerate it lol

I'd switch to a better feed with atleast 18% protein. I'd also look into depluming mites, I believe there's an article on them. I'm not sure what to do after that.
I will switch back to the previous feed, sadly I bought 4 bags of this stuff last time. So I need to go through it. I will spray everyone down with my Dr. Doom spray in the mean time though. Thank you.

These 2 hens are bullies, which is why I separated them from the main flock. They have never free-ranged before, we have had way too many previous losses with predators, so we no longer allow anyone to free-range.

My other rooster in the big coop has wispy-looking neck feathers with a bald patch as well though, and I really don't believe any of his girls would pick on him - he wouldn't tolerate it lol
Roosters generally tolerate grooming from their hens. This can result in missing feathers beneath their bills and along the sides of their neck when the hens get carried away.

Roosters generally tolerate grooming from their hens. This can result in missing feathers beneath their bills and along the sides of their neck when the hens get carried away.
Interesting, I have never had my girls do this before so I would never have thought that. I guess these new girls might be doing it! Sadly, all my problems started when these new girls came. Sigh. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom