Feather Mites in my car

mediazeal

Songster
10 Years
Feb 26, 2009
ewwwwwwwww
I transported some birds the other day and discovered after they were in my car that they had mites
so the birds are all taken care of now but what do I do about my car?
Birds were transported in it on Friday, just got in it to go run an errand and I found 5 little critters crawling on me, ICK!

what is the life of these little beasts with no chickens to live on?

I'm so grossed out, I have to tell you.
sad.png
hit.gif

Are they mites or lice?

If straw colored they are probably lice. I haven't dealt with them.

But I have dealt with Northern Fowl mites in my home (they died). They had jumped on me when I did chicken chores.

Here is what I did- I sprinkled borax everywhere and left it for a week. Then vacuumed.

I have read they don't like humans and will die with no chicken around. But I wasn't about to take any chances.
tongue.png

Note- if they are the red roost mite then that is more serious as they will take over a home. They can live without chickens. They are found in bird's nests and chicken coops. They come out at night to eat and hide during the day. So chances are they were the N. Fowl mite I suppose (the better mite to deal with). Here is a helpful website:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html
They recommend Sevin dust to kill them but I'd not like that in my car.

So, if it were me, I'd sprinkle borax everywhere (available in the laundry section of the grocery store- mule team borax). I did find one dead one on the borax next to my bed the next day- very tiny.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok, borax I can deal with
yes, they are little dark crawlers
so grateful for the reply, thanks very much
I just took another shower and stuck the clothes in the washer
ew, ew ew
now I have to get someone to go get me some borax cause I'm not getting back in that car...
thanks

Quote:
Ok, borax I can deal with
yes, they are little dark crawlers
so grateful for the reply, thanks very much
I just took another shower and stuck the clothes in the washer
ew, ew ew
now I have to get someone to go get me some borax cause I'm not getting back in that car...
thanks

I truly hope the borax works. It might be that the borax worked for me, or that they were going to die anyway. But that borax sure made me feel better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom