Feather pattern? Looks like pencilling?

Sixandahalfacres

Songster
Feb 8, 2020
Hey all! I have a lavender Orpington who came from cuckoo Isabel Orpington hatching eggs I purchased. She has no signs of the cuckoo gene, and I thought cuckoo can’t be hidden in pullets.

I crossed her with a lavender Ameraucana for fun and her chicks turned out to be sex linked! The lavender chipmunk chicks were all pullets and the solid lavender chicks were cockerels. The pullets have this interesting feather pattern but I can’t quite figure out what it is… pencilling? Lacing? Just a muddled mess? (The pic is a pullet from the original Orp)

Next year I’ll try get a good quality lavender Orpington rooster and see if she’ll throw this feathering in purebred Orps.

0CA11915-52D5-4863-8131-5FCF2A28DABA.jpeg

Hey all! I have a lavender Orpington who came from cuckoo Isabel Orpington hatching eggs I purchased. She has no signs of the cuckoo gene, and I thought cuckoo can’t be hidden in pullets.

I crossed her with a lavender Ameraucana for fun and her chicks turned out to be sex linked! The lavender chipmunk chicks were all pullets and the solid lavender chicks were cockerels. The pullets have this interesting feather pattern but I can’t quite figure out what it is… pencilling? Lacing? Just a muddled mess? (The pic is a pullet from the original Orp)

Next year I’ll try get a good quality lavender Orpington rooster and see if she’ll throw this feathering in purebred Orps.

View attachment 3263314

It looks like a ghost form of cuckoo to me. I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom