Feather pecking a molting bird - cause and prevention on bare skin?

porokelle

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Hello all,

We've got an 3-4 year old Indian game bantam and four 18-month-old black and blue Orpingtons.
Sweetpea, our black Orpington, went into a molt about a week/two weeks ago. She has lost most of her face, around her tail, and most of her butt feathers.
The feathers were coming back in nicely, but Nora, the game bantam who is also the head honcho, decided yesterday after dinner and when their evening grooming session typically begins - that pecking at Sweetpea's butt feathers is the best thing ever. We have not seen any blood and Sweetpea's butt is not red, but Nora will pursue Sweetpea from across the yard just to have a peck. Nora has also tried the same with the other girls but not nearly as much. Now if she wants food or attention, she will nip their butt feathers to get them out of the way.

To complicate things all of our girls are missing many of their butt feathers since the beginning of summer (we're in New Zealand), and we thought that maybe it was related to the amount of lice egg sacks they had coming out of winter, and they all lost their keel/chest feathers while going broody about the same time.

Nora has never attacked anyone else's bare bottoms that we're aware of (tonight and yesterday there have been very loud clucks and running when she to nip, which we have not heard before). This seems to be very sudden.

All of them are fed a layer feed and are free ranged, along with greens, bugs, and treats. We have seen Nora eat one or two of the feathers that were spread around the yard from Sweetpea's molt. And she's always been top of the flock, grooming the girls about 5-8pm each night (especially their bums).

Anyone else have this happen? Any reasoning? I'm thinking of getting some game bird food, which is what we were recommended to have all of them raised on, just in case it's a protein issue with Nora.

And I've found someone's post for antipecking treatment of teatree oil, food coloring, and a balm - but is there anything instead of the balm/vaseline we can spray it on with? I don't want to rub anything into Sweetpea's tender skin if I don't have to.

Thank you!

Chickens peck at growing in pin feathers because of the blood content. They aren't called "blood feathers" for no reason. This is highly addictive as chickens adore being little vampires when the situation presents itself, having the taste for blood in their DNA from having descended from Velociraptors. The solution is to paint the bald areas with Blu-kote to help prevent infection and to camouflage the bare skin which attracts chickens to want to peck it.

A persistent pecker can be stopped by installing pinless peepers on their beaks to inhibit vision. I have four chickens wearing this device at present. It definitely slows the pecking way down.

Chickens peck at growing in pin feathers because of the blood content. They aren't called "blood feathers" for no reason. This is highly addictive as chickens adore being little vampires when the situation presents itself, having the taste for blood in their DNA from having descended from Velociraptors. The solution is to paint the bald areas with Blu-kote to help prevent infection and to camouflage the bare skin which attracts chickens to want to peck it.

A persistent pecker can be stopped by installing pinless peepers on their beaks to inhibit vision. I have four chickens wearing this device at present. It definitely slows the pecking way down.
But she's doing it to all the girls, including the 3 that are not molting and do not have pin feathers. She's also only doing it only towards night time.

We also don't have Blu-kote available in New Zealand. I can get an alternative, but it's at least 5-6 days away shipping, thus asking about the DIY stuff. I don't believe the beak hoods are available here; I'd have to get them shipped in from overseas :(

Last edited:
Gentian violet is an alternative to Blu-kote. Pinless peepers solves the problem of a hen pecking at multiple chickens. You need a special pliers called snap-ring pliers to install them. They work the opposite of regular pliers.

Back
Top Bottom