Feather Pecking ....

Space wise, the Coop is 5'x6' - and the run is 6'x12' and houses 7 birds.
Is there a feed that offers more protein? The flock only gets an occasional organic scratch other than the feed listed above.
Thanks
Space is fine for that many. Starter, grower, or flock raiser are usually higher in protein than layer feed. Seems that there is a very common misconception that layer breed hens absolutely must have layer feed. It's completely false. There is no magic ingredient in it. It's just regular feed, with less protein and a whole lot more calcium. Most backyard flocks actually do much better on a higher protein feed, with crushed oyster shell on the side.

Going to give this feed a try for the rest of the winter. 16% compared to the 13% they were getting. Is that 16% a pretty decent number ? You know thinking about it normal feather pecking would leave feathers about. There is none other than an occasional one here and there. Need to get these birds back to the pristine condition they are used to !

16% protein is the bare minimum needed. Layena and the feed you have been using both have 16% protein content. Since you have a feather picker, I suggest going with a starter or flock raiser feed.

Ok so I'm going back to the starter grower they were raised on and hanging a "help yourself" oyster shell feeder.
What other things could I do to get them more protein ? Can you actually feed them too much protein ?
I read somewhere chickens love cat food. The Purina Naturals dry cat food we have is 38% protein ! Do things like cat food change the taste of the eggs at all ?
Our flock does not free range - so what I give them is all they get.
Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you !

Last edited:
Cat food usually is too high in salt, so it's not a good all the time thing. It takes a lot of protein, fed consistently to cause problems. Canned tuna is a good protein supplement.

Back
Top Bottom