Feather Plucking and Acting Odd

DFFF47A9-1C06-41FD-9252-EE9B6F6B11FD.jpeg

No one thinks it looks like mites? I didn’t see any. Her skin looks clear...but, I know it’s hard to be sure.

I did see her picking feathers on the floor of the coop. I have not caught her pulling them out.

I've used Nutri-Drench to provide a nutrient and calorie boost under stressful conditions. The girls respond to it very well diluted in their drinking water.

The directions say you can feed it to them directly if you need an emergency boost. But I haven't had any of our girls I tried that on show ANY interest in taking it directly. It is quite pungent, not sure if that's the reason? You've got a lot of good advice in the threat, though. Good luck!

No one thinks it looks like mites? I didn’t see any. Her skin looks clear...but, I know it’s hard to be sure.

I did see her picking feathers on the floor of the coop. I have not caught her pulling them out.
Doesn't look like mites. But I can't tell if those are pin feathers or just follicles that haven't come off yet still holding the feather together?? Like maybe growing back already.. a little to low on the head to be mating damage. Roost time can be brutal sometimes.

That is not her picking them, can pretty much assure you. That means 2 most likely suspects are bullying or molting. Molting can be a very difficult time. Usually some weight loss, decrease in pecking order, generally withdrawn, not in nesting boxes, and not laying eggs. :(

Lot's of questions weren't answered still, to help our best.. but I agree, having 18- up to 25% protein... with out the added calcium in "layer" feeds... will be very beneficial, IF she is molting. Oyster shell still available on the side for layers. As stated feathers are 90% protein, so the extra support helps to restore body reserves sooner which is not just empty calories like corn but nutrient dense ones, like some of the snacks that you are already trying. :)

ETA: feathers on the ground are often a sign of molt, if it seem like quite a few all the sudden.

Back
Top Bottom