Feather Plucking.....Bored/Stressed Chickens?

Wanted to clarify my pen size. Don't know where I came up with the inside numbers but it isn't 7 foot by 5 and a half. It is 18 foot long by 6 foot wide. The outside pens are about 16 foot long and about 8 foot out from the building so this should be ample room for them, don't you think. There are the 25 RIR and 3 SC. When I get my new chicks and they are old enough to go out to the chicken house I will redo it out there and give the 28 the whole back of the chicken house (about an 8 and a half wide by about 18 foot long.) Will take the front section of the chicken house which is about 8 and a half foot by 6 foot and have that for the 12 chicks.

Checked the chickens tonight and there is no more bare spots and still no bleeding so not sure what is going on with them. Will add the vinegar to the water and see if that "might" help them some.

Thanks to all who responded.

Well, I added white vinegar to their water today and I put hay outside for them. They did venture out a bit, but of course, it didn't help that it was 20 degrees and windy. I was a bit worried though because they attempted to eat the hay and I worry some of those long pieces might create a problem for them. In a few days we are supposed to have a bit of a warm up and I will try and expand their hay area a bit.

Anyway, their "main" treat each day is BOSS. My chickens don't really seem to care for scratch all that much. I did put Calf Manna out for them today and they didn't seem crazy about it! I will try only giving them high protein treats and see how that goes. I will also get a bag of Flock Raiser and maybe mix that in with their Layena.

I do realize my coop is too small for round the clock confinement, but there's not much I can do about that right now. Maybe in the spring I will try and create a covered outdoor area for them. I will definitely know better if we build another coop!

Thanks again everyone.

We are having a bit of trouble with picking here too. I got some hot pick from eggcartons.com and it seems to help. There is some confusion as to WHY it might help as apparently chickens do not have the receptors for hot. But essentially, I don't really care as long as they aren't bloody. I bought some 22% protein feed then returned it when I read that kidney damage can result, especially in winter when they are not free ranging. I don't know if this is true or not?? Anyway, good luck. Ours won't go outside either.

mine won't stay inside and the RR's combs are getting a little frostbitten. My tractor has 4 mil plastic on the long north side. It has a tarp over about 40% of the outdoor area and it goes down over the south side as well. They seem to like being out much more than hanging out in the coop during al but the very coldest days. They have a feeder in the coop and it is cleaned every week so I'd think they'd go inside more but they do not. I think blocking the north winds makes it much more comfortable for them outside.

Almost sounds like I need to just try and get through this winter somehow! Spring can't get here too soon for me. Once there is some bare ground SOMEWHERE, my girls will go out. I will definitely try to come up with a better plan before next winter!

I am thankful, no one has seriously hurt anyone like they did last winter. (Last winter I didn't have picking though!)

Well, looks like my feather plucking problem is probably mites. I did some research tonight and read on poultrykeeper.com about how to spot red mites which only come out at night. I took a white paper towel and ran it under my roosts tonight and found the teeniest, tiniest, little specks. After much staring at them, they eventually moved!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it also sounds like they are extremely difficult to get rid of. Of course, everything says to pressure wash the inside of the coop first. Well, that ain't gonna happen around here for a while! So, tonight, I put a thick layer of DE on top of the bedding while the girls were roosting and I am ordering a duster to try and force it in the cracks and crevices in the chicken coop.

My poor girls, they really are miserable. There is one hen that looks positively awful. Does anyone have any recommendations on a supplement I might give them? I did try the calf manna the other day and my girls won't touch it.

Of course, if anyone has any suggestions for getting rid of red mites, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Quote:
Pressure washing maybe optimum but in a cold winter climate it is not practical. So in that situation this is what I would do: you can use Sevin dust or they have poultry dust at TSC, where I am at it only cost 5.99 for one container, you will need two for your birds and coop. The little red mites can be real boogers to get rid of. Clean out all nest boxes. THen dust birds, clean out old mulch, (I dust my old mulch and throw it in the run, just to help insure kill off of mites), then add dust to bare floor (even if dirt), dust roosts, everything, even two feet of the lower half of your wall. Just avoid getting dust in their food and water as much as possible. The dust says not to put in nest boxes so it doesn't get on eggs, but lots of people do put it in the nest boxes because usually mites are there as well. THis is how I was intructed to treat for mites last summer, I enede up not having them. Just recently had a lice scare and this is what I did and there has been no problems with lice so far. There is no withdraw period of eggs doing this method. Some use Adams spray to treat birds and area. It's all a matter of preference. Hope this helps. I have heard that with the Adams spray some people throw eggs out for two weeks others say no need to. Never used that, so I don't know.

Carolyn

Quote:
Pressure washing maybe optimum but in a cold winter climate it is not practical. So in that situation this is what I would do: you can use Sevin dust or they have poultry dust at TSC, where I am at it only cost 5.99 for one container, you will need two for your birds and coop. The little red mites can be real boogers to get rid of. Clean out all nest boxes. THen dust birds, clean out old mulch, (I dust my old mulch and throw it in the run, just to help insure kill off of mites), then add dust to bare floor (even if dirt), dust roosts, everything, even two feet of the lower half of your wall. Just avoid getting dust in their food and water as much as possible. The dust says not to put in nest boxes so it doesn't get on eggs, but lots of people do put it in the nest boxes because usually mites are there as well. THis is how I was intructed to treat for mites last summer, I enede up not having them. Just recently had a lice scare and this is what I did and there has been no problems with lice so far. There is no withdraw period of eggs doing this method. Some use Adams spray to treat birds and area. It's all a matter of preference. Hope this helps. I have heard that with the Adams spray some people throw eggs out for two weeks others say no need to. Never used that, so I don't know.

Carolyn

So the Adams spray makes you throw out eggs, but the sevin you eat the eggs right away? Sevin/Carbyl makes for fragile shells in wild birds, but you all seem to have no problem using it around chickens.

Not sure yet what my problem is. Went to let the girls out this morning and noticed a bald spot on one of the girls I have separated from the main flock. She is in with 7 others who have feathers missing. This one in particular is now missing feather under her tail BUT not exactly her vent. These girls have a good size area so not sure why the feather plucking and who is doing it. Going to be nice today so might just have to go and spend time with them. Need to do some reading on here to and see if there is another reason for the bald spots.

Back
Top Bottom