Feather plucking

Hi.

I'm still having pretty severe problems with feather plucking. A lot of it seems to be happening at dust bathing time when the chickens don't want to move. It seems to be 2 chickens mainly that are doing it, one being a known bully...

Shes even scratching their backs. A lot of the chickens are looking really patchy now.

Any advice welcome

Have you tried separating the culprits from the rest of the flock for a time?

Hi,

No not yet, I currently haven't got sufficient space to quarantine them out of sight although I am building something.

If I put them in the isolation bit I had for an injured chicken they'd be inside all day.

Hi all,

I'm in need to revisit this thread as there seems to be a lot of feather plucking going on again. The main time this occurs is when the hens are trying to dust bath.

They all do it to each other and eat the feathers. I have just bought some growers pellets to mix with the layers as I've read that protein can sometimes be an issue however they do have access to bugs and I feed them mealworms etc.

They have a large run and I try to provide enrichment whenever possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm in desperate help for some answers to this thread as lately the problem has escalated. I have since built an extension however their coop is already quite large - whilst not free range they all have plenty of room.

I have sprayed anti peck but to no avail.

Even when they have a lot to do (when I'm there on a weekend giving them piles to turn over etc, they still do it when they are dust bathing.

Hi all,

I'm in desperate help for some answers to this thread as lately the problem has escalated. I have since built an extension however their coop is already quite large - whilst not free range they all have plenty of room.

I have sprayed anti peck but to no avail.

Even when they have a lot to do (when I'm there on a weekend giving them piles to turn over etc, they still do it when they are dust bathing.
I’m in the same boat as you and I’m going to attempt the Pinless peepers today. I had no luck with sprays or blue dye.

Back
Top Bottom