Feathers not growing back

ellie32526

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Texas
I have separated my hens from the roosters because the roosters were too rough and broke off the feathers. My hens are all wearing saddles which helped with their backs, but the wings don't seem to be growing back. Do I need to pull out the remaining stub where the feather used to be?

One of the worst situations for hens to be in is too few with a rooster or too many roosters. Feathers will grow back when the birds moult. Stressed hens need supplementation even on a formulated ration since most carry the bare minimum of nutrients.

First, relieve the stress. I keep no less than 10 hens with a very virile rooster. Losing feathers on the back is normal from the rooster's keel bone rubbing on the hen's back when he mounts her. So long as there are no lacerations, inflammation, or infected sores, it is normal.

A good moult supplement containing vitamins, minerals, and amino acids are important for feathering. Naturamine and AvioMoult are two very good supplements compared to lots of other junk supplements on the market. Jedds carries both:
http://www.jedds.com/-strse-1487/NATURAMINE/Detail.bok

Back
Top Bottom