Feathers

lakehuroncluckers

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
What can you do with all the feathers after processing? Any ideas? Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.
smile.png

mmmmm...... wonder if Miss Prissy will come along and tell us to make pillows, beds, comforters & the like out of them.....mmmmm
hu.gif

edit to change use to us...better grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember some article in the Backyard Poultry magazine describing how you should save even the chicken feathers to use for pillows.

But now I feel wasteful having thrown away so many feathers if I could have composted them instead. I was just worried about attracting 'coons & dogs & such to the yard, we've been bagging up the feet & feathers & guts and taking them out to the curb.

Do the feathers need to be ground up before adding to the compost pile? Or can they just be added to the middle? 'Splain, please!

I actually read in the Backwoods Home magazine Jan/Feb edition that the breast feathers on a chicken are just as wonderful as goose down! They recommend that you use them in comforters.
smile.png

You could bag them and sell them for crafts. Back when I was making dream catchers I would buy all kinds of feathers.

I am also wondering about composting the feathers. Do you just throw them in your regular pile whole? I would think they would be like a brown material, so you would need some green in there too?

Back
Top Bottom