February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Ok guys I'm going to try my luck with a still air "antique" incubator for my first hatch. I'm wondering what my temperature should be at egg height with this unit for lockdown? I must say I'm bummed that my genesis 1588 isn't going to make it in time for my first hatch, but I'm bound to make it work with the help from my friends here on BYC. So please chime in and give all the words of wisdom. Please and thank you!

Ok guys I'm going to try my luck with a still air "antique" incubator for my first hatch. I'm wondering what my temperature should be at egg height with this unit for lockdown? I must say I'm bummed that my genesis 1588 isn't going to make it in time for my first hatch, but I'm bound to make it work with the help from my friends here on BYC. So please chime in and give all the words of wisdom. Please and thank you!

You can start out in the old one and then transfer the eggs into the 1588 when you get it. The 1588 is pretty "out of the package reliable." In the meantime, I think temps should probably still read the same 99.8-100 and then whatever operating humidity you decide (I like it to stay in the mid to high 30s.)

You can start out in the old one and then transfer the eggs into the 1588 when you get it. The 1588 is pretty "out of the package reliable." In the meantime, I think temps should probably still read the same 99.8-100 and then whatever operating humidity you decide (I like it to stay in the mid to high 30s.)
Thanks orrpeople! I hope I get surprised and my new unit arrives on Thursday, but I must be prepared incase it doesn't. I have the old unit going just incase and want to get it stabilized just in case. Thanks again!
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f60a.png

Thanks orrpeople! I hope I get surprised and my new unit arrives on Thursday, but I must be prepared incase it doesn't. I have the old unit going just incase and want to get it stabilized just in case. Thanks again!
1f44d-1f3fb.png
1f60a.png

I'm right there with ya - might have to use the loaner (cheap plastic one), so I'm getting a good thermometer/hygrometer (and probably not sleeping as I check it constantly) until my second one arrives! Have you read the 1/2 c water, 1/4 c salt zip lock bag humidity test method for hygrometers? I've read and reread so much info inthe last few months, I can't remember if it's on this thread or a different one!!

Well, eggs are on day 7 today, 1/3 of the way through! I candled them yesterday, all the white eggs are alive, and my candling technique is certainly not down pat yet, so I can't really tell on the rest. :p

Well, eggs are on day 7 today, 1/3 of the way through! I candled them yesterday, all the white eggs are alive, and my candling technique is certainly not down pat yet, so I can't really tell on the rest. :p

Hah! Yes! I was the super smart person who decided Marans eggs should be my very first incubation experience. Talk about not really being able to see anything... and because my only candling experience was with my buddy youtube, even if I could have seen something, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have known what I was actually seeing!! But, even with all my inexperience, that first hatch was my highest percentage for shipped eggs I've had to date. Go figure.

I'm right there with ya - might have to use the loaner (cheap plastic one), so I'm getting a good thermometer/hygrometer (and probably not sleeping as I check it constantly) until my second one arrives! Have you read the 1/2 c water, 1/4 c salt zip lock bag humidity test method for hygrometers? I've read and reread so much info inthe last few months, I can't remember if it's on this thread or a different one!!
Indeed I have read that article as well. If you're looking for it what I do is google it, and then it usually shows under google search. I just tend to click on the link that includes BYC because as you know you get tons of feedback which is great. I ordered an incutherm hydrometer/thermometer with my genisis which happened to have great reviews. So this will give me three options to compare too. It's crazy how much time we put into making sure everything is just right in our incubators. Then you watch a hen just simply do the job we as humans work our tails off to try and duplicate.
1f601.png

Hi Jim,

There is a difference in temp between still and forced air. I found this....

With a Forced Air Incubator (fan model) you can get the best hatch rate by keeping the temperature at 99.5º F. throughout the entire incubation period NEVER LET IT GO BELOW 99.5!!! Watch for evening temp flux!

HOWEVER, when using a Still Air incubator (no fan) at 102º F. The reason for different temperatures is that with a fan model the circulating air warms all around the egg while still air temperatures are warmer at the top of the egg than at the bottom.

I agree with orrpeople - get the new incubator set up and up to the right temp, then move the eggs over. Good luck!!!

Hi Jim,

There is a difference in temp between still and forced air.  I found this....

[COLOR=333333]With a Forced Air Incubator (fan model) you can get the best hatch rate by keeping the temperature at 99.5º F. throughout the entire incubation period NEVER LET IT GO BELOW 99.5!!! Watch for evening temp flux!  [/COLOR]​

[COLOR=333333]HOWEVER, when using a [COLOR=000000]Still Air incubator (no fan)[/COLOR] at 102º F. The reason for different temperatures is that with a fan model the circulating air warms all around the egg while still air temperatures are warmer at the top of the egg than at the bottom.[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=333333]I agree with orrpeople - get the new incubator set up and up to the right temp, then move the eggs over.  Good luck!!![/COLOR]​
As long as you guys think that's the way to go. My only concern would be that I will be into day 2 of the lockdown period. So you guys are telling me you think I'll be ok to make the switch at that time? I must say I would be a lot happier going that route, but just want to make sure we're on the same page. Thanks

As long as you guys think that's the way to go. My only concern would be that I will be into day 2 of the lockdown period. So you guys are telling me you think I'll be ok to make the switch at that time? I must say I would be a lot happier going that route, but just want to make sure we're on the same page. Thanks

Somehow I totally missed that you were using the still air bator for the beginning of your staggered hatch. Got it now. Hmmm, depending on how things are going (pips/np pips, keeping good humidity, etc.) Then I would decide if it was better to move them or keep them where they are. You'll probably want to play that one by ear.

Back
Top Bottom