February 2017 Hatch-a-long

It's funny, there is a thread that talks about pointy eggs being boys and rounded eggs being girls. I have NOT been able to prove that.

I have also heard the higher temps produce more boys, and lower temps produce girls. Girls survive low temps better, boys survive high temps better. I have not been able to prove that either....

Anyone else know if either of these hold any water?

I've only read anecdotal/speculative information on both but have yet to see any real studies (ie large sample sizes with control groups) proving either. As is often stated, if either is true, why are hatcheries hatching so many males just to end up putting them in the macerater or garbage bags?

I use the FI 4250 and it has basically been "set it and forget it" by way of reliability and success. However, I tried a LG styro and had HORRIBLE luck with it while others use them for years with great success. So I guess there is variation within the products :\
I despise LG's. maybe others can get them to work, but not me! So touchy!

I despise LG's. maybe others can get them to work, but not me! So touchy!
My first incubator was an LG - I had about a consistent 80% hatch on MY eggs. Shipped eggs, not as good. I bought a second 'bator - an Incuview. Not very good at incubating incubator, but it was pretty good at lockdown. I love the clear top. I next bought a Brinsea - the advanced, with the humidity pump. The Brinsea - is BY FAR my favorite. BEST hatch rates ever. I still use the LG for overflow eggs that don't fit in the Brinsea The humidity is very, very difficult to maintain in the styro and plastic incubators. The pump on the Brinsea saved me a LOT of shrink wrapped chicks.

Yes, the LG has been known to spike - it's done it twice on me in this past week. But, you open it and it cools down quickly. If you do have a LG - glue a lego to the adjustment knob. It is so hard to tell how much you are turning it - the Lego makes a huge difference.

The problem I have with the Brinsea - if I FILL it, I can fit up to 70 eggs sometimes. Unless it is OBVIOUSLY clear, or has a clear blood ring, I lock it down. There is NO ROOM to lay all 70 eggs down. I need to use a second bator to hatch some of them. The Brinsea also is VERY, very difficult to pull out dry chicks mid hatch.

Hello, February friends!

I am joining late, but I may just squeak in at the end of February, since I hear that Bantam breeds hatch out early. Is that true?

I bought six Golden Sebright eggs, and they just arrived - except there are twelve! (Generous seller)

Day 21 would be March 2, but I am guessing that February 28 is possible?

Anyone else hatching bantams?  Anyone else with a late hatch date?  Anyone here have experience with Sebrights?

Thanks, and happy hatching! :D

I have mine to hatch on the 28th, so I may have a few late bloomers in March. However, last hatch they were all hatched by day 20...

My first incubator was an LG - I had about a consistent 80% hatch on MY eggs.  Shipped eggs, not as good.  I bought a second 'bator - an Incuview.  Not very good at incubating incubator, but it was pretty good at lockdown.  I love the clear top.  I next bought a Brinsea - the advanced, with the humidity pump.  The Brinsea - is BY FAR my favorite.  BEST hatch rates ever.  I still use the LG for overflow eggs that don't fit in the Brinsea   The humidity is very, very difficult to maintain in the styro and plastic incubators.  The pump on the Brinsea saved me a LOT of shrink wrapped chicks.

This is my second time ever hatching eggs, and I'm using an Incuview. I love it! My first hatch ever was with an Incuview and it gave a 92% hatch rate. What do you not like about it?

I'd say my one complaint is that it does not have a readout on the hygrometer. Just ''too low'' ''just right'' or ''too high''.

I'm still debating getting a second bator - if I win an auction I'm bidding on (ebay). I have a friend who will loan me one, but I might just get a cheaper Hovabator for hatching. Not sure yet...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom