February 2017 Hatch-a-long

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Where do you guys get the emojis that appear to be laughing and holding their gut as to say it hurts, and the high fives. I must say I'm a little jealous I don't have them to my disposal.
1f624.png

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Where do you guys get the emojis that appear to be laughing and holding their gut as to say it hurts, and the high fives. I must say I'm a little jealous I don't have them to my disposal.
1f624.png
It looks like you are on the right track since you were able to post an emoji. When I click on the little smiley face to bring up the emoji options the bottom of the box is cut off. If you move it up on your screen you should be able to see the high fives and other ones.

It looks like you are on the right track since you were able to post an emoji.  When I click on the little smiley face to bring up the emoji options the bottom of the box is cut off.  If you move it up on your screen you should be able to see the high fives and other ones.
huh I don't see that! Once I go to reply it's just the standard emojis that are on my phone. Perhaps those of you who have the different emojis, is due to your particular phones. Mine just happens to be what I could apply to a standard text. Maybe it's because I use my phone where some of you are probably on a computer?

Good luck with your hatch! We may get chicks around the same time. :highfive:

Thank you, and the same for you! Let me know when yours hatch!

My incubator has no hygrometer, so I ended up buying a little round one from Petco that velcros on. It's worked well. 

Hmm, how much was it? I have NO money ATM thanks to 55 hungry mouths, but if I ever get some....lol

huh I don't see that! Once I go to reply it's just the standard emojis that are on my phone. Perhaps those of you who have the different emojis, is due to your particular phones. Mine just happens to be what I could apply to a standard text. Maybe it's because I use my phone where some of you are probably on a computer?

So when you are on a mobile device, you have to learn the code names for each emoji. Those moving ones like this :gig and this :highfive: are particular to BYC. So you put one of these : in front of the code word, for example : frow = :frow. Just take away the space between the code word and this :

Make sense?

Great news for the first attempt of the year I must say. I'm currently on the third try for the first two ended up being yolkers. Perhaps the cold weather here in Michigan, combined with a young rooster as well contributed to the unfertile eggs. This go around though similar to you I have 17 EEs thriving in their oval homes as we speak.
1f600.png
Good luck on your hatch!
1f423.png
lol must be a good month for blue eggs! So glad your EEs are thriving. I have to say I wasn't expecting many of the Orpington eggs to be fertile. They are notoriously fluffy butted and I hadn't done any feather triming to help my fella out. I was happy seeing so many thriving. The winter here in Maryland has been pretty mild and my Roos take their jobs seriously it seems. I've been worrying about them because I have heard some horror stories about fertility problems with Orpingtons. I was actually happy seeing any of the Polish developing. They don't agree that the weather has been mild and have only poked their heads out on the mildest days. Plus the little Roo just seems interested in one of the hens even though they have all been laying regularly. I guess he is doing more courting than I thought because I have eggs from all three girls developing. Here's hoping both of our hatches are still thriving at the next candling!

lol must be a good month for blue eggs! So glad your EEs are thriving. I have to say I wasn't expecting many of the Orpington eggs to be fertile. They are notoriously fluffy butted and I hadn't done any feather triming to help my fella out. I was happy seeing so many thriving. The winter here in Maryland has been pretty mild and my Roos take their jobs seriously it seems. I've been worrying about them because I have heard some horror stories about fertility problems with Orpingtons. I was actually happy seeing any of the Polish developing. They don't agree that the weather has been mild and have only poked their heads out on the mildest days. Plus the little Roo just seems interested in one of the hens even though they have all been laying regularly. I guess he is doing more courting than I thought because I have eggs from all three girls developing. Here's hoping both of our hatches are still thriving at the next candling!
im doing a staggered hatch which is a first for me. I have 3 due to hatch on the 19th, 7 on the 26th, and 10 that I saterted this wknd. So the 10 are looking good so far that are set to hatch within the next two weeks. The other ten I'll know by day 7 which happens to be the 19th. I ordered a Hova genisis 1588 advance Friday, and am hoping it makes it by Wednesday for lockdown needs to occur by Friday. I ordered it through Incubator Warehouse and it said 3-6 business days in the shipping I paid for so if anyone has experience with their shipping I'd appreciate any feedback. Otherwise I'll need to go to plan B for my hatcher wihich is a still air unit. Needless to say I'm not a "fan" of to say the least.
1f60f.png

im doing a staggered hatch which is a first for me. I have 3 due to hatch on the 19th, 7 on the 26th, and 10 that I saterted this wknd. So the 10 are looking good so far that are set to hatch within the next two weeks. The other ten I'll know by day 7 which happens to be the 19th. I ordered a Hova genisis 1588 advance Friday, and am hoping it makes it by Wednesday for lockdown needs to occur by Friday. I ordered it through Incubator Warehouse and it said 3-6 business days in the shipping I paid for so if anyone has experience with their shipping I'd appreciate any feedback. Otherwise I'll need to go to plan B for my hatcher wihich is a still air unit. Needless to say I'm not a "fan" of to say the least.
1f60f.png

I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a loaner (a cheap plastic one from China) just in case I can't get the deal Im looking for on a hovabator. I use my 1588 primarily, but I need a hatcher. Thankfully I have a bit more time. I'd be interested to hear how Incubator Warehouse does for you. I may end up just spending more and using Amazon Prime if I procrastinate too much longer.

I am so excited!
wee.gif
My grandson's teacher will be hatching 3 duck eggs in her classroom starting Tuesday. I already have the eggs in my second Brinsea Mini and will be candling them before moving all to the school. They usually have chicken eggs with a free 4H incubator (Styrofoam, manual everything) so the teacher was thrilled to get my mini automatic with duck eggs. The only thing she has to do is add water every two or three days, candle at 7, 14 and 21 days. She will still be hatching the chicken eggs, my duck eggs are conveniently timed to hatch about the same day as the chicken eggs. Wow, how cool!!! I made a (practically free) candler out of a Kleenex box and one of those high intensity mini headlamps, so the kids can all see what's going on with minimal handling of the fragile eggs. It works like a champ!

I will
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a loaner (a cheap plastic one from China) just in case I can't get the deal Im looking for on a hovabator. I use my 1588 primarily, but I need a hatcher. Thankfully I have a bit more time. I'd be interested to hear how Incubator Warehouse does for you. I may end up just spending more and using Amazon Prime if I procrastinate too much longer.
I will definitely let you know how it goes. My wife was mad about me not using her Amazon Prime account but quickly realized Incubator Warehouse was still cheaper. So moral of the story is dont procrastinate like I did and wait till the last minute.

Thank you, and the same for you! Let me know when yours hatch!
Hmm, how much was it? I have NO money ATM thanks to 55 hungry mouths, but if I ever get some....lol
So when you are on a mobile device, you have to learn the code names for each emoji. Those moving ones like this
gig.gif
and this
highfive.gif
are particular to BYC. So you put one of these : in front of the code word, for example : frow =
frow.gif
. Just take away the space between the code word and this :

Make sense?
I got the combo pack, hygrometer and thermometer, for $11.99. They are on sale now for $8.39 for the set. Or, you can just get the hygrometer for $5.99 regular price and it's on sale now for $4.19.
http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-thermometer-humidity-gauge-combo-pack

I insisted on asking a lot of questions about the reliability, and the manager came out and told me he uses them for his reptiles and that they work very well. I have used them for all my hatches, and it's been helpful. I like having a second thermometer. That way, if I move some chicks to the brooder, I can put one there.

Back
Top Bottom