February 2017 Hatch-a-long

We are a regular recovery enablement group!
Unfortunately, I have an enablement group. I put pics of my Silkies on FB, and admitted that I am a hatchaholic, and asked for some help. Then all my friends, started in "Hey, hatch some of those all-black chickens!" "What about the curly chickens?"... and then the remark "I think you should just hatch anything and everything you want to! Why not?" So, here I am with Brahma chicks and Sebright eggs.

The most dangerous enablers are cheerful non-chicken people who don't understand the expense and space issues of chicken math.

Last edited:
In other news (because my eggs are not all that interesting at this point) my three week olds spent their first night outside - granted, we had a low of only 45 - under their heating pad. They emerged this morning rambunctious as ever! We have a portable tractor set up in the carport, so they can stay out of our perpetually rainy weather!Whew! So good to get them out of the house!
Great to know they are doing well! I usually have had enough of chicks in the house by two or three weeks. At 2 1/2 weeks, I put my Brahma chicks out in the barn in a wire hutch, with a 100w heat lamp. They did fine, even with nighttime temps in the 30s.

At 3 1/2 weeks, if it's a nice day (50 degrees), they are happy to spend a few hours in the Silkie run. The Silkies are gentle and don't bother the chicks. I am hoping that when the Brahmas are HUGE compared to the Silkies, they will be able to peacefully share the run, since they will we used to each other. Does this sound like a viable plan?

It's perpetually rainy here, too! So glad the run is covered. And yes, it is good to get big chicks out of the house, no matter how cute they are.
thumbsup.gif

I need some help, i put 42 eggs in my brand new 1588 Genesis Hovabator, the temp was preset at 100F and i checked with 2 thermometers to verify, it was right on, ran steady between 99.9 and 100.1 at 30 to 40 percent humidity and then on day 18 i moved the eggs to a hatcher with temp of 100f and 80 humidity, within 2 hours 1 hatched and 2 hours later one more, this morning, day 19 four more have hatched and another 6 are pipping, i know 99.5 is the right temp but would 1/2 a degree make them hatch 3 days early? They seem healthy so i am not complaining just wondering, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

I need some help, i put 42 eggs in my brand new 1588 Genesis Hovabator, the temp was preset at 100F and i checked with 2 thermometers to verify, it was right on, ran steady between 99.9 and 100.1 at 30 to 40 percent humidity and then on day 18 i moved the eggs to a hatcher with temp of 100f and 80 humidity, within 2 hours 1 hatched and 2 hours later one  more, this morning, day 19 four more have hatched and another 6 are pipping, i know 99.5 is the right temp but would 1/2 a degree make them hatch 3 days early? They seem healthy so i am not complaining just wondering, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

What kind of eggs?

22 Lavender orpingtons and 20 barnyard mix, full size chicken parents.
Everything I've read says if they hatch early the temp is to high. So my guess would be recalibrate your thermometers, and recheck the incubator. I just bought a Genisis 1588 and had to turn it down to 99.5 to get it to a 100 so I'd definitely recheck the temp. Day 18 is way early so I'd have to say it's higher than 100.

Back
Top Bottom