February 2017 Hatch-a-long

My February hatch is now over. Ecstatic with the results. 20 eggs, shipped from TN to WA. 19 hatched chicks, one DIS. Yolk sack was not absorbed, but fully formed. Wish I knew why, but know it happens.

Here are a. Oh ole of the chicks. I'll post more later. 19 are a lot to photograph! LOL!

I'm using the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX with heat pump. It worked like a charm. Temp and humidity values matched thermometer/hygrometer that I placed inside. My only "complaint", if any, is that it's not as big as I thought it would be when they say "holds 24 eggs". My 20 BARELY fit.

I'm using the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance EX with heat pump. It worked like a charm. Temp and humidity values matched thermometer/hygrometer that I placed inside. My only "complaint", if any, is that it's not as big as I thought it would be when they say "holds 24 eggs". My 20 BARELY fit.

I have the brinsea 40 ex. Well, i have 2. I love them!! I find if you don't use the rails and just line the eggs, offsetting each row, you can get a lot more eggs in. I have gotten more than 60 in my 40. But I do hatch a lot of bantams. Congrats on the great hatch!!!

I have the brinsea 40 ex. Well, i have 2. I love them!! I find if you don't use the rails and just line the eggs, offsetting each row, you can get a lot more eggs in. I have gotten more than 60 in my 40. But I do hatch a lot of bantams. Congrats on the great hatch!!!

Wow! I'm locking it away. I'm maxed out without selling my house and buying a farm! LOL I will remember the offsetting tip, if, by chance, I find myself hatching more. Not that that is going to happen. No. Nope. Not at all...

I now have 9 chicks hatched on day 19 and more pips everywhere, should i wait till Day 21 or take them out of the hatcher tomorrow at day 20?

I now have 9 chicks hatched on day 19 and more pips everywhere, should i wait till Day 21 or take them out of the hatcher tomorrow at day 20?

That's a tough one. If you take them out, you risk reducing your humidity and causing any chicks who are pipped or zipped to become trapped in their membranes (shrink wrapped). Personally, once I have a whole bunch that are getting rowdy and no zips, I have one of my family members open the bator super quickly while I grab the chicks, then my helper either throws a wet sponge in, or uses the spray bottle to lightly mist everyone with warm water then close the bator quickly. But, you've got to be so careful.

Last edited:
Next batch of eggs is due to hatch Wednesday or Thursday. Just put in the CCLs I won on the 24 hour auction.

Now, a question for y'all. In the mass multiplication of chicks, what do you plan to do with them? We are gradually trying to get some breeding groups together, sending some to the "rooster trailer" (I converted an old horse trailer and built a pen for it) for eventual culling

And, the hens (and a sweet rooster I don't want to get beat up in rooster land) to two grow out pens to figure out which ones to breed and which ones to sell or add to my run-of-the-mill layer flock.
I would love to hear your plans as well!!

Next batch of eggs is due to hatch Wednesday or Thursday. Just put in the CCLs I won on the 24 hour auction.

Now, a question for y'all. In the mass multiplication of chicks, what do you plan to do with them? We are gradually trying to get some breeding groups together, sending some to the "rooster trailer" (I converted an old horse trailer and built a pen for it) for eventual culling

And, the hens (and a sweet rooster I don't want to get beat up in rooster land) to two grow out pens to figure out which ones to breed and which ones to sell or add to my run-of-the-mill layer flock.
I would love to hear your plans as well!!
Hello again, I hate to keep bugging you but it appears you may have your new Genesis figured out? Me on the other hand I believe I've got the temperature figured out. I'm having to run mine at 98.7 to run at 100. My humidity seems about 10% low on the bator readout. I really don't have a hygrometer that I label as dependable, and unfortunately they're both combos. So the best I can do is put both in the Genisis and compare the three and then pick a middle of the pack. So I guess the reason for this message is to see if you've found your new unit to be this far off? I'm trying to avoid spending more money on gadgets as you stated. I also have one EE that piped this morning which happens to be day 22 for it.

*sigh*
Day 10 and only one of my 11 shipped Sebright eggs has a viable embyro.

One more looks like something started and quit, and nine eggs show zero development at all. Nothing.
sad.png

Does this mean they were infertile, or not necessarily? Since nothing smells bad, I will leave all the eggs in until Day 14, but things are looking pretty sad. I have had good-to-excellent hatches with this same incubator/temp/humidity in the past.

I hope my one wiggler pulls through. Go, chick!!

Back
Top Bottom