February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Hello again, I hate to keep bugging you but it appears you may have your new Genesis figured out? Me on the other hand I believe I've got the temperature figured out. I'm having to run mine at 98.7 to run at 100. My humidity seems about 10% low on the bator readout. I really don't have a hygrometer that I label as dependable, and unfortunately they're both combos. So the best I can do is put both in the Genisis and compare the three and then pick a middle of the pack. So I guess the reason for this message is to see if you've found your new unit to be this far off? I'm trying to avoid spending more money on gadgets as you stated. I also have one EE that piped this morning which happens to be day 22 for it.

You're definitely not bugging. What I ended up doing was (noticing that both my hovas were measuring exactly the same as each other w the exact same amount of water) just going with its presets. My rationale was that I have had excellent hatches without tweaking it at all, so I probably shouldn't mess with it.
A day 22 pip, though, indicates temp too low through process. But not too low.

You're definitely not bugging. What I ended up doing was (noticing that both my hovas were measuring exactly the same as each other w the exact same amount of water) just going with its presets. My rationale was that I have had excellent hatches without tweaking it at all, so I probably shouldn't mess with it.
A day 22 pip, though, indicates temp too low through process. But not too low.
I agree with the day 22 means temp was a tad low. Needless to say I'm not a fan of the Farm Innovators 4200. It is so difficult to get the temp where you like it. Even then it tend to fluctuate by almost 3 degrees. So what I've done is make it run 99-101. I made this adjustment today for the remaining 17 eggs, and just hoping it doesn't harm them. This crazy thing is so touchy. I'm glad I have the 1588 now for it holds the temp so much closer.

Just set 18 eggs today. I exchanged eggs with member @generaldsherman and received 6 Isbar 3 Marana and 1 ugly duckling egg and added another 8 eggs of my meat birds. Due date 3/12 and duck 3/19.

Last edited:
Mine was started on the 9th mixed after a major loss so al my eggs are mixed 62 eggs all old eggs waiting on incubator about 24 are from the fridge candling them first time this evening praying that I have at least 10 good out of them all my first time so it's iffy at best

My incuview, which I was using as a hatching bator, had a catastrophic failure. 3 hatched late on day 19, 2 hatched day 20, and last night the temps dropped to 76. I was away. My folks were watching the bator. My dad pulled out the miserable chicks and rebooted the bator. He went to work. I stopped at the house to check, and found a VERY cold, just hatched chick. The incuview said it was 98, my egg o meter said it was 73. The egg o meter was correct.

Thankfully I had 2 other bators running. I consolidated those eggs, and moved the cold chick and the rest of the eggs to the warm bator... and I had to leave again. I just heard that the cold chick survived and 4 more have hatched.

So I'm amazed how horribly you can treat the eggs, and they still hatch!!!

For the cold chick, it's shell is coated with blood. Is it possible it hatched before absorbing all its blood vessels?

Candling for the second time tonight ( I tend to do it at a week and 2 weeks and don't candle at lockdown). I removed 5 clears last week. Hoping for some great progress.

First candleing done I'm surprised as far as I could tell and my wife was also inspecting I have out of 60+ eggs that I scavenged up after my flock demise 41 are looking like they are good. I know I need a brighter candler for the brown eggs. But saw life in them and that I thank God for. Best news is the onl egg I had from my only EE is alive!! And have 2 of my Dutch game hen (EE was killed my dutchie lives) so I'm blessed there for sure now the long wait again till 8 days from now for last candle and lockdown. I'm excited like a kid at Christmas time!!

Back
Top Bottom