February 2017 Hatch-a-long

I'm glad someone else asked first. I am arriving late to this hatch-a-long. I find myself, like many people, somewhat (Very) addicted to the beautiful process of witnessing an egg become a chicken. I don't own an incubator because I truly don't trust myself with one! I have, in my flock, a very broody silkie who has done All of the hatching for me. The largest we had was a 7 chick hatch...and I feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of birds that are here. Overwhelmed in a good way mind you, but if my feed bill and my coops keep up with me, I'll have a hundred by next year! Well, maybe not a hundred but lots!
I am reading each hatch-a-long that I participate in and also others I am not having hatches so I can learn as much as possible.
What in the world does a [person do with 40, 50, 200 chicks? I admire the work and especially the knowledge that goes into this! I'm just looking for some expert direction so that I do Not have to go to Chickens Anonymous!

My first goal is to have some very nice breeding stock of birds I can't get locally. I'm trying to focus on just 4-5 breeds, and then I also know I will sell any extras that I decide not to use, or have very wholesome chicken dinners for a while!

Fuzzy babies. 18 so far. We still have pips, but not sure they'll hatch.

Love it!!! I'm all about the silly themed names for things - we have a coop called the "Toy Box" and all the hens that sleep in it have toy names: Holly Hobby, Raggedy Ann, Polly Pocket, Barbie, Skipper, etc.

My favorite so far is Ovation Station...I also had pass through my mind, the Laying Lodge...

Well, I need a name for my new duck house, I thought Quack House sounded a bit too close to another spelling, kinda negative, so now I'm thinking The Quackery or Coup De Quack. Any other suggestions? I ordered a duck weather vane for the roof.

Really until you pointed out the "other" type of house that sounds similar, I was loving the name the Quack House.
Once I got the joke I think it's even better! Humor in all things.
You could always go with something less sinister like The Wacky Quaky...the Honk House ...ducks Do honk is that right?

Really until you pointed out the "other" type of house that sounds similar, I was loving the name the Quack House.
Once  I got the joke I think it's even better! Humor in all things.
You could always go with something less sinister like The Wacky Quaky...the Honk House ...ducks Do honk is that right?

I've always thought ducks quacked and swans and geese honked...

We had to evacuate last week and I took the incubator with me. We came back once the evacuation changed from mandatory to voluntary. The eggs are due this coming weekend and I am sad to report that they did not take to traveling well. I am left with 2 Bielefelder eggs and 1 Crested Cream Legbar egg going strong.

We had to evacuate last week and I took the incubator with me. We came back once the evacuation changed from mandatory to voluntary. The eggs are due this coming weekend and I am sad to report that they did not take to traveling well. I am left with 2 Bielefelder eggs and 1 Crested Cream Legbar egg going strong.

Fellow Californian?? I'm sorry about the loss of your littles. No fun. But, here's hoping your three remaining eggs hatch well!

Back
Top Bottom