February 2017 Hatch-a-long

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure either, but all four of the wheaten chicks we got from our BCM were chipmunk striped, and i was really hoping it meant female... sadly, 4 out of the 5 were males (another reason not to use him in the breeding pool. He produces about 80% males!
Actually, with chickens the females determine the sex lol

That is cool as crap!!  Never thought about that kind of tape.  Have seen glue, wax, scotch tape, band-aids, etc, but that was good thinking!

I tried liquid band aid on an egg that got cracked in shipping.  I think it might have done ok, but I couldn't stand the smell.  Even after 2 days in the incubator, it still had that odor, so I pulled it.  I didn't want it to affect the other eggs. 

Congrats!

It was purely by accident :)barnie pun intended!) that I used athletic tape. A couple hatches ago, I dropped one, and since my incubator is on our kitchen counter, right below the cabinet that has the ibuprofen, bandaids, etc in it, I opened it up and there was a roll of athletic tape. I thought I'd just 'make do' since I had heard I should use liquid bandage and didn't have any. Anyway, the more I thought about it, the more I decided to just stick with (I'm on a pun roll this morning!) the athletic tape since it is porous, allowing air and moisture to get through. It's good to know it worked both times, but I'd much prefer never to have to use it again!!:fl

It's Day 14, and all but one of my eleven shipped Sebright eggs are yolkers.
hmm.png
There is absolutely nothing going on there, so out they go. *sigh*

The good news is, one little egg has a wiggly little chick inside, so I am hoping it makes it to hatch and that I have one little cutie, anyway.
fl.gif
Go, chick!

It's Day 14, and all but one of my eleven shipped Sebright eggs are yolkers.
hmm.png
There is absolutely nothing going on there, so out they go. *sigh*

The good news is, one little egg has a wiggly little chick inside, so I am hoping it makes it to hatch and that I have one little cutie, anyway.
fl.gif
Go, chick!
I'm so sorry! That hurts. I will definitely let your seller know. I know they say they have no control, but 10 of 11, to me are a sign of infertility. Good luck with the one!!

I started 19 welsh harlequin ducks eggs from my flock on the 9th, and three mix breed chicken eggs also from my flock on the 11th. This is my first time incubating duck or chicken eggs. Candled all of the ducks at day 12 and all 19 had movement. The chickens I candled at day 10, all three had veining, since two of the eggs are blue is very hard for me to see through them. These eggs won't hatch until the beginning of march, but I did start them in February lol.

I started 19 welsh harlequin ducks eggs from my flock on the 9th, and three mix breed chicken eggs also from my flock on the 11th. This is my first time incubating duck or chicken eggs. Candled all of the ducks at day 12 and all 19 had movement. The chickens I candled at day 10, all three had veining, since two of the eggs are blue is very hard for me to see through them. These eggs won't hatch until the beginning of march, but I did start them in February lol.
Congrats on the good start! I love your bunny photo!!!!

What color is your avatar photo?  Is that a silver fox?  I'd love to see baby bunny photos!!!  Good luck with the litter!

Yes, her name is Felicity, she's the one due today actually. Then we have two more litters over the next few days. All of ours are "black" it's the only excepted color for the breed right now though it is possible to get different colors. I will be posting lots of photos through out the growing period. I'm actually in the works of starting my own blog!

Back
Top Bottom