February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I will do day 4, 7, 14, and of course before lockdown. My rooster is very matey- meaning he's constantly dancing and mating. I have seen veins connected to a red dot, and in others I just saw a bunch of something at the top and just assumed it was fertile.
How many hens is he covering? It’s so hard to know what you’re looking at, especially if the eggs are darker. How I am now seeing them when I look, is how they compare to the others. I waited a day after I saw the ones I was pretty sure had quit just this week before I pulled them, because I thought, “well, maybe..”. But when I compared them the next day to just one of the others, the difference was night and day. I like knowing that even before all these new incubators, that people were just doing everything we “know” now to be “wrong”, and still getting positive results 🙂 Please post how the candling goes tomorrow, I love hearing how these go, good or bad. It’s all a learning experience :thumbsup

I candle daily. The one time I didn't, I had an egg explode on day 5, and I never want to experience that again. Lol.
Any warning signs of an egg about to explode other than leakage or smell. I’m on day 3 and afraid to candle. I tried to candle while they were inside the incubator but could not see anything that way. 😂 Would you basically see cracks while candling and then know to remove the egg before explosion?

How many hens is he covering? It’s so hard to know what you’re looking at, especially if the eggs are darker. How I am now seeing them when I look, is how they compare to the others. I waited a day after I saw the ones I was pretty sure had quit just this week before I pulled them, because I thought, “well, maybe..”. But when I compared them the next day to just one of the others, the difference was night and day. I like knowing that even before all these new incubators, that people were just doing everything we “know” now to be “wrong”, and still getting positive results 🙂 Please post how the candling goes tomorrow, I love hearing how these go, good or bad. It’s all a learning experience :thumbsup
He is covering about 20 hens and he has help (I guess?) from another rooster. (He bullies the other rooster.) Ok I will candle them in a bit.

Any warning signs of an egg about to explode other than leakage or smell. I’m on day 3 and afraid to candle. I tried to candle while they were inside the incubator but could not see anything that way. 😂 Would you basically see cracks while candling and then know to remove the egg before explosion?

My egg that exploded didn't give any warning signs, at least not on my pre-setting or day 3 (2 days before exploding) candling. No cracks, smell or leakage. Now I candle daily and discard the ones I'm certain either were infertile or have quit. So - hopefully - I won't have any further explosion experiences to compare.

Um. I don't think there's anything wrong cause I just candled them and there is no blobs anymore and they are all developing. All of the eggs are very heavy. So I think there was just some of the eggs that were earlier in development than others. I hope all my chicks hatch. :)
That awesome! Keep the updates coming please 😊

Back
Top Bottom