February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Thank you, yes they have to survive all kinds of crazy conditions in the wild don't they? And somehow, life prevails... :)

I was pointed in the direction of this guide:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Where it says:
View attachment 3385608
So, that's all. Whoever wrote this guide sure had put a lot of thought and detail into it, but I don't know how exactly "authoritative" it may be.
I was confused by the wait 24 hours before turning thing also. Some guides say wait a day but most don’t say that so I started turning at 12 hours and those eggs are developing normally (I think, I’m a newbie lol) but I see the dot a veins growing even though I didn’t wait a full day to turn.

Day 6 Spitz egg. The seller told me that the smaller eggs seem to do better with shipping. The two Spitz eggs are the smallest of those shipped. I'll candle tmrw and try to mark air cells on everyone. Feel like I need a third arm for this. Lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 4
Yes! You counted right 👍 I was thinking Friday, too, and I think you're right that it makes sense to wait till nighttime when everything will be darker, plus getting closer to 3.5 days at that point...

I have a couple thermometers I could put in, but I haven't calibrated them yet, so I might try to mess around with those in the next day or so. I'm not sure where I might have a plain bulb type one to compare with, I'll have to look, apart from the ones that are mounted to the wall lol I know the two hygrometers out of the package were showing different readings side by side so 🤷
If you look up how to calibrate a hygrometer here you will find out how to check those to see if they are +/-. But you put salt in a lid with a bit of water just to make it moist no extra water. Put that in a baggie with the hygrometer. After 8 hrs it should read.... I think 70%. But look it up to be sure.

My shipped eggs arrived ahead of schedule this morning. They were packed excellently, and all look good. She included a few extras, so I’ll only be adding 7 of my own eggs to fill up the incubator. The Ameraucanas are a bit bluer than the photo captures, but they are on the light side. The Marans are absolutely gorgeous, though! I’m guessing I won’t be able to see much at all when I candle them. My eggs quite literally pale in comparison. Lol.

27CC675F-CEAB-4BEA-85D5-0EAE94FCC113.jpeg

CA802AC5-9F09-4B3C-8BBE-F97D3E287777.jpeg

I was really excited to see this hatch along thread! First time hatching and I’m doing it much earlier than I should. Too excited and impatient. Eggs arrived this morning. I prepared myself for the possibility of having none hatch before ordering since it was a cold trip plus shipping. Eggs arrived in great condition but one (that I can see so far) has a saddled air cell.
Eggs are sitting out and going in the incubator at 11pm tonight for a hatch date about around Feb 15th.
I got a mystery mix this time and another order planned for April.
This hatch is:
2 svart hona
3 blue polish
2 jersey giant
2 Easter eggers
1 buff orpington
1 Maran
1 Aseel
1 chanteclar
1 Houdan (saddled air cell)

Attachments

• DA171B26-335B-4189-8E9D-C39BF3B1161C.jpeg
    DA171B26-335B-4189-8E9D-C39BF3B1161C.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 4
My shipped eggs arrived ahead of schedule this morning. They were packed excellently, and all look good. She included a few extras, so I’ll only be adding 7 of my own eggs to fill up the incubator. The Ameraucanas are a bit bluer than the photo captures, but they are on the light side. The Marans are absolutely gorgeous, though! I’m guessing I won’t be able to see much at all when I candle them. My eggs quite literally pale in comparison. Lol.

View attachment 3386205

View attachment 3386206
What gorgeous Maran eggs you received!

Day 6 Spitz egg. The seller told me that the smaller eggs seem to do better with shipping. The two Spitz eggs are the smallest of those shipped. I'll candle tmrw and try to mark air cells on everyone. Feel like I need a third arm for this. Lol.
Spitz eggs are small anyway, I have also heard small eggs ship best, and hatch best.

Hello! New here! First time hatching and with eggs from our own flock. Put in 30 eggs on the 20th for a hatch date of Feb 10th! Candled tonight and we have 12 for sure fertile and doing well. A couple of them the shells are just too dark to see anything. The rest look infertile but will check again in a couple days although I'm not hopeful for them. Has anyone not seen anything on day 5 and then something by day 10?

My kids are so excited and love seeing the chicks growing in the eggs! Such a great learning experience for them! Hoping we get some successful hatches 🤞

View attachment 3386205

View attachment 3386206
Beautiful eggs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom