February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Oooh I woke up to some action! One pip and quite a few wigglers and peeps

31891096-B354-48D1-AD21-E9574F750D30.jpeg

So it's been a minute or two since I have been out here to the backyard....

Just finished up another successful hatch of my own chicky-poos. They were blue eggs from Ameracaunas, but the jury is still out on who the baby daddy is. :) I have several roos.

I had a couple unhatched eggs (day 21 was Mon and I have 4 fluffy babies out of 6 eggs). I was going to clean out the incubator because being the CRAZY chicken lady that I am, hatching my own eggs is not enough noooo... but much to my surprise, one of the remaining eggs was peeping at me, so excited to see that baby hatch.

So I have about 38 more hatching eggs coming that I ordered on eBay (yea I know...been there done that with the abyssmal hatch rate)

Here's what I am hatching next:

• Dominiques - new breed for me, any interesting info on this breed??
  • Golden Comets/ISA browns - love these rockstar egg layers
  • Polish - My pet Muppet needs some of her own kind of people....
  • Silkies (some evil, EVIL critter ate all my silkies...RIP Mr Nugget, Cotton, and QTip)
  • Ayam Cemanis (I have a Roo already)
  • Wheaten Ameracaunas
  • Wheaten Marans

Excited to add to my flock!!
Tagging @Amazons ❤️ Dominiques are a beautiful heritage breed with peacombs and gorgeous feathers! The Dominique Club has lots of historical info too, especially about how the things that make the breed distinctive from the BRs, mainly I think the type of barring, were almost bred out! But the SOP has shifted back again to try to restore the breed to the body characteristics etc. it once had. Plus they are very friendly and a great breed for beginners or the backyard flock due to their personalities.

This evening will be day 21 of the shipped eggs.
3 have hatched so far, 5 pipping/zipping stage, 2 in shell moving but no pip, yet.
Below are the 3 out
1. Blue andelusian
2a.PNG

2. EE mix, from my hens.
2.PNG

3. blue andelusian
2b.PNG

Looking forward to the last 7 in their eggs...
Here is what happened with the others...
Yesterday one egg pipped wrong end, but it was face down, he still had fluids and drown. (BCM) day 20
2 eggs punched through inner air cell day 20, but decided to be perfectly developed and absorbed chicks dead in shell. BO, and BCM
1 made it to lockdown but quit.

In my other incubator my eggs are all developing. Due at a later date. Since they were not shipped I am more hopeful.

Help. This one just pipped at the wrong end. Do I need to do anything at this point? 😰

This is one of the local eggs. If I play chick sounds I can see it moving in that hole. I didn't want to leave the sounds on though... in case it needs to spend the day resting since apparently it did an external pip and missed the internal pip. 😭

IMG_1017.jpg

Last edited:
Help. This one just pipped at the wrong end. Do I need to do anything at this point? 😰

View attachment 3400154
In my experience, (also see @gimmie birdies post above) you'll need to keep the pip facing mostly upwards, so fluids don't drown the chick inside. They can successfully hatch on their own. It's good it made an internal and external pip at the same time - at least it's got air. Likely won't hatch soon today, probably rest a whole lot. Just keep it upwards and breathing.

In my experience, (also see @gimmie birdies post above) you'll need to keep the pip facing mostly upwards, so fluids don't drown the chick inside. They can successfully hatch on their own. It's good it made an internal and external pip at the same time - at least it's got air. Likely won't hatch soon today, probably rest a whole lot. Just keep it upwards and breathing.
Thank you! Is it currently upright enough? Or do I need to prop something underneath the egg?

Thank you! Is it currently upright enough? Or do I need to prop something underneath the egg?
It looks upright enough, but maybe put it in a shallow cup or a nest of paper towels, something so it doesn't get jostled around and turn over - especially when the other chicks start to hatch. Once it starts to zip, no worries - all the fluid should be gone by then, but I'd not let it get where the beak is pointed downwards just in case.

Back
Top Bottom