February 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Alr y'all, had to rescue eggs from a friend. She has a hen who is 2 weeks in, she hasn't marked them so i dod some candling and she has some that are like this now from another hen:
1 egg is maybe 1 or 2 days in
1 egg is maybe 4 days in
1 egg is maybe 5 days- 1 week.
and 1 egg is looking a bit rough but looks 10 days old.
I took them thinking they'd en up not making due to the other babies hatching 2 weeks before them, especially since some aren't even a week in yet. Did i do the right thing?
They are in an incubator now.

8 out of 9 hatched. cream egg has pipped.
Kids have said we need to keep the chick from the blue egg because its a different colour, cant argue with that

Attachments

• 20230210_080635.jpg
    20230210_080635.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230210_080737.jpg
    20230210_080737.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230210_080913.jpg
    20230210_080913.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 4
this one is only about 10 months, first time brooding so we'll see how it goes
Mine was her first time but she was just over a year. She had a brood and another mama had a brood at the same time. She was protective of any chick that peep loud at first even the other mamas chicks when with their mama... She did settle down with that. But she wouldn't allow any other chicken near her babies without going after them. Those babies walked around like they owned the place. Lol

Alr y'all, had to rescue eggs from a friend. She has a hen who is 2 weeks in, she hasn't marked them so i dod some candling and she has some that are like this now from another hen:
1 egg is maybe 1 or 2 days in
1 egg is maybe 4 days in
1 egg is maybe 5 days- 1 week.
and 1 egg is looking a bit rough but looks 10 days old.
I took them thinking they'd en up not making due to the other babies hatching 2 weeks before them, especially since some aren't even a week in yet. Did i do the right thing?
They are in an incubator now.
I would have done the same and hoped for the best.

Mine was her first time but she was just over a year. She had a brood and another mama had a brood at the same time. She was protective of any chick that peep loud at first even the other mamas chicks when with their mama... She did settle down with that. But she wouldn't allow any other chicken near her babies without going after them. Those babies walked around like they owned the place. Lol
We had a hen once who only liked chicks that were black, other then her bullying the ones who weren't, she was very sweet to her children.

We had a hen once who only liked chicks that were black, other then her bullying the ones who weren't, she was very sweet to her children.
I have heard of that. So far the hoodies I have let raise babies have all been great. My last one raised 17 and stayed sleeping in the nest box with them for I think 10-11 weeks!! The rest all went back to roost around 5-8 weeks.

I have heard of that. So far the hoodies I have let raise babies have all been great. My last one raised 17 and stayed sleeping in the nest box with them for I think 10-11 weeks!! The rest all went back to roost around 5-8 weeks.
We had an excellent mother pass back in August last year, she went broody every year and did very well each time. A Cuckoo maran, she was about 7/8 years when she went. We called her Copper.

Back
Top Bottom