February 2023 hatch-a-long

Day 7 and the easiest to candle eggs aren't looking good. I think we handled them way too much and the candling flashlight also got really hot at the end before I noticed. I don't know how many are viable. I haven't thrown any out yet... as a first time incubator I'm not too certain of what I'm seeing and some are too dark to see anything. It was all going so well up until now! 😢

Day 7 and the easiest to candle eggs aren't looking good. I think we handled them way too much and the candling flashlight also got really hot at the end before I noticed. I don't know how many are viable. I haven't thrown any out yet... as a first time incubator I'm not too certain of what I'm seeing and some are too dark to see anything. It was all going so well up until now! 😢
Awh hopefully some are ok! Feel free to post pics and perhaps people can help you feel more confident on what you are seeing.

I will say day 7 a lot of times I think they are gonners and they aren't. I think the baby moves in the egg a bit more so can hide. And veins a lot of times aren't as dark. Then I check a couple days later and they are all fine. My first 3 hatched I was sure they were done around day 7. And I candle daily and have no issues of handling too much.

I was wondering if this was the case because so many of the eggs looked about the same and why would they all quit at once? 36 hours ago (day 5.5) the embryo was right at the surface of the side of the egg (NR360 incubator so laying sideways) and easy to see and when turned seemed to lag like it was almost attached to the shell. Now they are "swishier." The contents move more easily and the veins are less apparent. But I don't see clear blood rings yet so I left them in there.

Although we have candled a lot I've been VERY gentle and not changed the orientation of the egg much at all awhile candling.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but it doesn't look good.

I was wondering if this was the case because so many of the eggs looked about the same and why would they all quit at once? 36 hours ago (day 5.5) the embryo was right at the surface of the side of the egg (NR360 incubator so laying sideways) and easy to see and when turned seemed to lag like it was almost attached to the shell. Now they are "swishier." The contents move more easily and the veins are less apparent. But I don't see clear blood rings yet so I left them in there.

Although we have candled a lot I've been VERY gentle and not changed the orientation of the egg much at all awhile candling.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but it doesn't look good.
Fingers crossed you are wrong.

2 more days to lockdown!!! It feels like I’m waiting for Christmas haha.

Attachments

• 2BAD383A-5FB9-480E-BC10-01128009A108.jpeg
    2BAD383A-5FB9-480E-BC10-01128009A108.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1
Well, I got a notice from our electricity provider that we are having an 8 hour power outage next Weds. My eggs will be on day 17 that day. Should I take my eggs elsewhere where I have power and risk the car ride, or do I leave them? This is my first time incubating eggs so I'm so nervous!!!

Well, I got a notice from our electricity provider that we are having an 8 hour power outage next Weds. My eggs will be on day 17 that day. Should I take my eggs elsewhere where I have power and risk the car ride, or do I leave them? This is my first time incubating eggs so I'm so nervous!!!
Oh no! That was one of my fears incubating in February here (winter storm power outages). I don’t have any advice for you it’s my first time incubating too.

Oh no! That was one of my fears incubating in February here (winter storm power outages). I don’t have any advice for you it’s my first time incubating too.
I know, we haven't had one in over a year so that figures it's while I'm incubating! I'm so anxious 😰

I know, we haven't had one in over a year so that figures it's while I'm incubating! I'm so anxious 😰
How far would you have to take them and does your incubator have an egg Turner that holds them separate? My plan was to take them 10 minutes down the road to a family with a generator if we had a power outage. I figured the turner would protect them from rolling into each other for a short trip.

Back
Top Bottom