February 2023 hatch-a-long

How far would you have to take them and does your incubator have an egg Turner that holds them separate? My plan was to take them 10 minutes down the road to a family with a generator if we had a power outage. I figured the turner would protect them from rolling into each other for a short trip.
I do have an egg turner that holds them 😊 And it's about a 20 minute drive to where I'd take them. I do have a generator but I'm working that day. Might just have to call in sick 🤢 🤣

I do have an egg turner that holds them 😊 And it's about a 20 minute drive to where I'd take them. I do have a generator but I'm working that day. Might just have to call in sick 🤢 🤣
Haha I like your thought process!
That does really suck though. Especially since they will be so close. If your power company is anything like ours I wouldn’t feel confident that it would only be 8 hours either ha.

7 chicks hatched now! 4 are still just pipped and 1 I believe is dead in the shell 🙁 It has not pipped, no peeping, nothing so I snuck it out to candle it and there was absolutely no movement. There is a shadow in the air cell that looks like maybe its butt but it didn't internal pip either. Wonder what happened to the poor thing. He was so close to hatching!

Thoughts? A shipped egg just hatched and has issues. Looks like an organ hanging out 😰 and there is a lot of yolk left behind. Anything I can do at this point to save her? I tried to ask in the main forum thread also.

IMG_1054 2.jpg IMG_1055.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1054 2.jpg
    IMG_1054 2.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 3
I put my chick with that issue in a little cage.
2ad.PNG

So the chicks could not peck it. It was dry, so I put a bit of coconut oil on the belly button so it would not stick to anything.
2ap.PNG

This is what mine looked like. The chick was a shipped egg.
It is with others now, and eating feed.

Alright i figured out the egg that hadn't been growing had a hairline crack, guessing thats why it hasn't grown, I tossed it out, down to 3 eggs. Which I dont mind bc im not the type to like raising chicks on my own, as i worry too much.
Edit:
on second thought, i replaced it with another bantam egg from one of my own. Realized i didn't like uneven numbers. I promise if another dies i wont replace anymore, bear with me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom