February 2023 hatch-a-long

HATCH RESULTS:

10/10 eggs set hatched, 9/10 healthy chicks, one cull due to slipped tendon with exposed bone.(RIP little babe)

92931ED8-1B13-4D5D-977F-92A6560875A9.jpeg

I got 2 dark chicks that look exactly like two of my pullets did as chicks - not surprised, as they’re from the same egg source (possibly same parents, definitely same mix). So I have a good idea of how they will look grown up! The rest are mystery babes until they start to feather out.

Attachments

• 7F58864B-E535-483F-999F-C592915B3CF6.jpeg
    7F58864B-E535-483F-999F-C592915B3CF6.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 740D1A75-D6A9-47BF-8B23-C85593879B00.jpeg
    740D1A75-D6A9-47BF-8B23-C85593879B00.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
got back from a 4 hour round trip picking up chickens/chicks to return to my incubators flashing high. the teenager accidentally closed the door without turning any fans on or opening the windows.
opened the door, turned a fan on and they quickly went back to normal. peeked in and see some pips in both incubators. it didn't get too high so hopefully all should be ok

7 of 9 eggs have now hatched. One FCM is malpositioned foot over head. I made a safety hole yesterday and widened to take a peek today. It's still absorbing the yolk. I'll assist again when it's finished. All other babies seem to be doing great. Will try to get pics today. The last egg... a large FBCM might be DIS, but I'm too scared to open it. Going to give it another day and see if I can convince husband to open and help me do an eggtopsy. 😭

Day 19 gave us 10 in total. 😳 All bantys, 9 of which were blue eggs. I have a couple dozen that are starting to pip. The humidity has me nervous. The more that hatch the higher it goes but then the more they fluff, it plummets in. Literally an incubator roller coaster right now. I really need to get the ones out that have fluffed but I'm not sure how to do that with shrink wrapping the ok nes who pipped. Any suggestions This is only day 20 so let the games begin. 10 down, 43 more to go. 😬

I added My Spitz/EE from my hens, to the 7 that hatched a couple days ago.
Still in incubator is the shipped LO day 23.
Below NN #9
2nn.PNG

(eggs from lockdown yesterday.) besides the spitz/EE, this NN, and one more zipping, two in the air cell.
I was so busy trying to get frizzles in this hatch, I forgot I had NN's.

Last edited:
Day 19 gave us 10 in total. 😳 All bantys, 9 of which were blue eggs. I have a couple dozen that are starting to pip. The humidity has me nervous. The more that hatch the higher it goes but then the more they fluff, it plummets in. Literally an incubator roller coaster right now. I really need to get the ones out that have fluffed but I'm not sure how to do that with shrink wrapping the ok nes who pipped. Any suggestions This is only day 20 so let the games begin. 10 down, 43 more to go. 😬
if you don't leave it wide open for long then they will be fine while you get the ones that have hatched and fluffed out. I do it all the time and also checked on any eggs I am not sure of. a mama hen doesn't just sit 100% of the time for a "lockdown" they get up even after an egg has pipped a lot of the time. It is a LONG extended time that it can shrink wrap them. if you want and feel better wait till one has just hatched since as you know humidity goes way up. then you can open it and get out the dry ones and humidity will bounce right back up because of the wet one.

I also open the incubator to check late-hatchers and remove dried chicks without any shrink-wrapping. I’ve had instances of hatched and fluffed chicks pecking at eggs during zipping, and freshly hatched babies’ umbilical/belly buttons, eyes etc (chicks can be so rude!) so it gives me peace of mind to just remove them and put them in the brooder. I keep a small dampened sponge inside the incubator “just in case” to quickly restore humidity.

Back
Top Bottom