February 2023 hatch-a-long

2no.PNG

Spitz/EE that hatched last night, Fluffed out.
Below is the NN/EE out of the egg.
2nna.PNG

Here are the chicks! We’ve got 8 in total.
They’re just over a week old now.

All of the siblings have a picture together, except for the chick in the last picture, which is actually the NNs’ sibling, but it didn’t get the gene for the naked neck.
We got 1 red bantam Cochin cross, 3 NNs, and 4 EEs.
View attachment 3399622
View attachment 3399623
View attachment 3399627
View attachment 3399630
View attachment 3399631
View attachment 3399632
View attachment 3399634
View attachment 3399636
View attachment 3399637
View attachment 3399639
View attachment 3399640
Congratulations!!! They are so cute!!

I was planning on getting an incubator and some eggs to hatch for the first time. I am wondering if most people are vaccinating their 1 day old chicks for Mareks? After loosing hens to Mareks I am afraid of having any not vaccinated. Especially Silkies since they are more likely to get sick. My Vet recommended I just purchased chicks from the large hatcheries to be sure they are vaccinated. I purchased the ones who died from Mareks from Feather Lovers Farms and paid extra for the vaccine but something must have gone wrong. They did refund me my money but I want to avoid that again if possible.
I will be. I have chickens outside I got from Cackle last year with the vaccine and it only makes since to give these guys the same chance at life. I have seen A LOT of people lately talking about their chickens possibly it just having Marek’s.

I will be. I have chickens outside I got from Cackle last year with the vaccine and it only makes since to give these guys the same chance at life. I have seen A LOT of people lately talking about their chickens possibly it just having Marek’s.
FYI: The cheapest Mareks vaccine I have found is from Valley Vet and with shipping is about $60

FYI: The cheapest Mareks vaccine I have found is from Valley Vet and with shipping is about $60
Um just my two cents. Were you the one that had chickens that were vaccinated for mareks die of mareks? If so, and for anyone who has had vaccinated chickens against a disease that they later died from, isn't that a bit suspicious? Don't you think it's possible the vaccine itself had the mareks disease in it?

Back
Top Bottom