February 2023 hatch-a-long

Well my home-grown fertility check eggs are throwing me for a loop! I have hatched several sets of bantam eggs and they have always hatched on day 21. I know it's possible to hatch sooner, but it hasn't happened for me....until today. I went to check on the humidity and was thinking about starting lockdown and I took the lid off and heard a cheep!! One of the eggs has a big external pip already! Today is day 19 and I didn't candle last night because I was too tired. So I quickly moved them to the lockdown incubator and added some damp paper towels. I am NOT ready for them haha, guess today I will be getting the brooder set up!!

Chickie #2 who was pipped for 24 hours decided to make her appearance!

Attachments

• AB4FB98B-3CAC-4D1A-AF2C-346050DE0603.jpeg
    AB4FB98B-3CAC-4D1A-AF2C-346050DE0603.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 2
Well my home-grown fertility check eggs are throwing me for a loop! I have hatched several sets of bantam eggs and they have always hatched on day 21. I know it's possible to hatch sooner, but it hasn't happened for me....until today. I went to check on the humidity and was thinking about starting lockdown and I took the lid off and heard a cheep!! One of the eggs has a big external pip already! Today is day 19 and I didn't candle last night because I was too tired. So I quickly moved them to the lockdown incubator and added some damp paper towels. I am NOT ready for them haha, guess today I will be getting the brooder set up!!
It's my story from a couple od days ago 😅

Bad news…one marans has finally pipped, looks ok. I made a safety hole in the second, and it was big enough to see what’s going on when I shined a flashlight on it - it has severe scissor beak 😭 that’s why it never pipped externally, but has been peeping/crying a lot…I feel so bad for it…. Going to give it a chance, will probably have to assist, but I don’t want it to suffer too long…I should probably let nature just take control from here and not assist…
How about the other? Did it hatch out? You said you have 2 Maran eggs in lockdown?!

That is awesome! I was just telling my husband that I will need to get the brooder ready on Monday, for a just in case. Luckily I have just about everything. After the loss of the chicks and ducks last year we changed the brooder to something different. I just have to set it up. And instead of doing a heat lamp we are doing a heat plate.

I know! When I read your post I was thinking, "that's never happened to me, I wonder why after all the eggs I've hatched?" haha. Someone was listening to my thoughts! How long after it early pipped did it hatch? :D

Monday morning the external pips began, they started coming out about 24-26 hrs later. The hatch was completed the following morning when I assisted the one that was stuck.

Back
Top Bottom