February 2023 hatch-a-long

I ordered eggs for January send/set date, with a February hatch date. This is a way off, but I thought I would put this tread up for people planning to hatch eggs in Feb. I decided to hatch because it was hard to get all these chicks I wanted shipped at the same time. Some were not available and some were pricier as a chick. I know eggs will be 1/2 roosters. I am okay with that. And I enjoy hatching. I have hatched many eggs in the past local and shipped. (Incubators foam, 2, Little Giant, with turner, for the first 18 days, dry hatch -but natrually 50%, works best for me, moving to a farm innovators for the hatching, still air, I will bring the humidity up to 60% or so.)

I plan on posting photos and my steps,

BCM-Dark brown eggs
Frizzle EE-green/blue eggs
blue orpington-tan eggs
olive egger-dark green eggs
lavender orpington split to black.-tan eggs
Blue andelusian-white eggs

I am interested in other people who may be hatching shipped eggs during a similar time, or their own, or if you want to join the watch.
I'm hatching, but not with shipped eggs. My DIL has chickens and roosters, so she gave me 11 eggs. We are in the lockdown now and I heard peeps coming from one egg. I'm so excited! This is my first time trying to incubate. Out of 11 eggs, I had to discard 3, they had nothing in them. :( But the other 8 are definitely full. I hope they all hatch. Today is day 19! I've no idea what egg is from what chicken. But DIL has some great layers, all brown eggs.

Suggestion for my chick was for b2. Has anyone ever used it and how did you administer? I am going to get some tomorrow morning first thing. I plan on leaving the little one in the incubator for now but thought I’d maybe give some chick food in there since it might would have some vitamins to help. I feel like I shouldn’t but her in with the rest yet because she really can’t stand and would perhaps be targeted.

Just showing off all the colorful babies that made it - 17 in total, and way more mixed layers than I was expecting 😅 I’ll be finding most of the girls news homes in about a month or so.

View attachment 3407076
What you using on the floor of your brooder? And what size crate is that? I'm thinking about using my dog kennel that is folded in the garage,,,,but not sure it's big enough.

Last 4 chicks have hatched. I ended up rehoming one batch of 7 to a lady who wanted some babies for a broody hen so will need to do a head count.
Still only one Muscovy out of the dozen (accidentally wrote two doze before). I'm giving the internally pipped one more time but for now the lone one is hanging out with two of the calmest chicks

Suggestion for my chick was for b2. Has anyone ever used it and how did you administer? I am going to get some tomorrow morning first thing. I plan on leaving the little one in the incubator for now but thought I’d maybe give some chick food in there since it might would have some vitamins to help. I feel like I shouldn’t but her in with the rest yet because she really can’t stand and would perhaps be targeted.
Wish I could offer good advice, but I’m too new to hatching. I would definitely keep her separate until you figure out what’s happening with her. Hope she perks up.

Wish I could offer good advice, but I’m too new to hatching. I would definitely keep her separate until you figure out what’s happening with her. Hope she perks up.
Thanks! Hopefully tomorrow the B2 helps. For now she’s in the incubator and a put in a little bottle top with yogurt and chick crumble. Apparently plain yogurt is high in b2. She pecked at it a couple times so I figure anything helps if she is deficient.

I got the brooder kinda ready…just need bedding. I’m not putting any of the food or water containers in yet but they are ready to go! 😁 9 days left…well 8 days and some hours…

Attachments

• EBF93604-3FFA-4201-BECD-CDAFD35AD5C8.jpeg
    EBF93604-3FFA-4201-BECD-CDAFD35AD5C8.jpeg
    517.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom