February 2023 hatch-a-long

I'm so relieved right now y'all, this chick of mine has been alone for 3 days and I've finally got another pip! Day 20 :celebrate .
20230218_055527.jpg

Also that egg on the left behind that one that's pipped is actually not an egg, its decor i used to keep the eggs in place, so they wouldn't roll.

Last edited:
I think the dog crate I’m using is 107 cm x 71 cm. Very soon it will be too small for that many chicks, so I’m going to split them up into a second brooder (old aquarium). I’m using flax bedding this time because it’s not as fluffy/dusty as pine (they can’t make such a huge mess), and hemp is pretty expensive where I live. However, the first day or two I always use paper towels or puppy pads because it’sa little safer ( so I’ve been told…)
Thank you so much! I so far have 3 chicks hatched. The first chick had issues, umbilical cord wrapped around it's leg, got that taken care of and it has curled feet, so it is in 'shoes' right now,,seems to be walking better already. It is in the brooder by itself as the other two just hatched in the night last night. It has also ate on it's own just a few minutes ago. I was so thrilled! I have been sticking its little beak in the water but I've yet to see it drink on its own. It has stopped loudly chirping and more of a small tweet now, so it acts like it's a happy camper for now. I'm hoping by the time the other two fluff up and are ready for the brooder, this little one will be running around like a normal chick . I feel so much better since I seen it eat on its own. I was getting worried about how I was going to 'teach' it to eat. lol So far there is only paper towels in the brooder, I bought a huge pack to be ready for these little dinosaurs.

I'm so relieved right now y'all, this chick of mine has been alone for 3 days and I've finally got another pip! Day 20 :celebrate .
View attachment 3408652
Also that egg on the left behind that one that's pipped is actually not an egg, its decor i used to keep the eggs in place, so they wouldn't roll.
This chick hasn't made a sound since i found it but it is breathing, i can see it now and it looks like it still has veins to absorb, also worried about shrink wrap, but i can't exactly tell from incubator view if it truly is- And if it is, i cant help it because of the veins, what do i do? :hmm

I'm not sure what's wrong. I put my eggs into lockdown on Thursday night and the temperature and humidity have been totally fine until last night (Friday). About 1130pm, my hygrometer was reading 104.5 but my incubator was reading 99.5.... They have been both synced up and reading around the same until this point. I changed the battery in the hygrometer and changed it's placement and on the floor of the incubator next to the eggs out was reading 106! I don't trust my hygrometer now .... Wondering if the higher humidity is messing with the temp readings. I also have a laser thermometer and when I point at the bottom tray with the water in it, it's reading pretty high. Anyway, I fussed with the eggs and the readings for hours last night and I couldn't get the temp to lower on the thermometer unless I drastically lower the temp on the incubator. Finally at 3am, I ended up just deciding to trust my incubator thermometer... They've made it this far! This morning is day 20 and no pips and only one egg is moving when I talk to it...I really hope it didn't kill my babies, I'll be devastated!!!

This chick hasn't made a sound since i found it but it is breathing, i can see it now and it looks like it still has veins to absorb, also worried about shrink wrap, but i can't exactly tell from incubator view if it truly is- And if it is, i cant help it because of the veins, what do i do? :hmm
Alright, I put olive oil on it and it started chirping, Im hoping it'll be fine and I'm guessing it will hatch early tomorrow or maybe in the middle of the night, time will tell.

Just leave it 🙂 It has a job to do - absorbing yolk. Once they pip they take a long, long break. It seems like ages and sometimes i think they died 🙊but they're ok. From pip to zip ( and hatch) is around 24 hrs. So do nothing 🙂 i know, i know 🙇

Back
Top Bottom