February 2023 hatch-a-long

Help!!! I have a chick that pipped 38 hours ago. After 26 hours, I tried to open the hole a little more and it started to bleed. This morning at hour 38 I tried to zip a little more and it started bleeding so I stopped. It's still in there moving and peeping. What do I do?

Help!!! I have a chick that pipped 38 hours ago. After 26 hours, I tried to open the hole a little more and it started to bleed. This morning at hour 38 I tried to zip a little more and it started bleeding so I stopped. It's still in there moving and peeping. What do I do?
If there’s blood, I’d leave it alone and just make sure the membrane stays moist. Doesn’t seem like the chick is done absorbing yet. But hopefully someone more experienced can chime in.

1sak.PNG

Above yesterday's 3 eggs...
below the 3
1za.PNG

1zc.PNG

My little black one is small also, but not because she is bantam, because she is part Spitzenhauben.
1zb.PNG

Below are the last of my eggs, They will go into lockdown tomorrow. The 2 to the top, and the white one are due on the 25th, the light green one should be in lockdown because today is the 21st, but it still doesn't seem ready, (That one and the dark green in left corner did go into lockdown with the above eggs, but then didn't seem ready)
I do think the one in the corner may be a quitter. So far only that one of my fertile eggs quit.
1z.PNG

Below are the last of my eggs, They will go into lockdown tomorrow. The 2 to the top, and the white one are due on the 25th, the light green one should be in lockdown because today is the 21st, but it still doesn't seem ready, (That one and the dark green in left corner did go into lockdown with the above eggs, but then didn't seem ready)
I do think the one in the corner may be a quitter. So far only that one of my fertile eggs quit.
View attachment 3410698
Are you going to put all the chicks together in the brooder? I kept my new batch separately and today they joined the older ones. And the next lot is due on Wednesday/Thursday and I'm going to do that again. The older chicks are too lively now. It's a pain but it's safer i think 🤷

The one remaining egg has not pipped. Can't really see movement either. Ugh. Will give it a couple days.

Three hatched yesterday and the one from the large egg is a funny looking chick. It was covered in bits of yolk so letting him dry off. Here are the other two that hatched.

I was surprised to get one with feathered legs.
DSC05190.jpg
DSC05202.jpg

A couple group shots.The Peepers. lol.
DSC05206.jpg
DSC05217.jpg

Today I transferred new chicks (2-3 days old) to the brooder so everybody is together now 🙂 There was some pecking, bumping and stare downs but it only lasted a few minutes.
My Australorps have got white feathers on the wings (second photo). The girl i got the eggs from said they had white chicks from black parents 🤔 and its also possible that some of the eggs i got was from their splash hen. So I have no choice but wait :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230220_155150.jpg
    IMG_20230220_155150.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20230220_125702.jpg
    IMG_20230220_125702.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom